StartisBack vs. Start8

Olexijl

Hello,

Just wanna ask you what do you think is a better replacement soft for Win8. I actually have Start8 bought. However i wanna know for sure.

In my personal opinion Start8 by Stardock is good. But is it better than StartisBack?

• Replies 19
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one costs 3 bucks while the other is 5

pick one, they both do the same thing, make your start menu appear.

The reason i wanna know is which one has more features? And i wanna know a different opinion...

When i was on windows 8 I had problems with start8.

I never tried startisback but ide still say startisback.

Ide say try both and pick which ever runs on your system better.

they both do the same but.. they both are coded by different people so logically thinking they are not the same.

so now you want more 'features' :blink:

I thought the important thing was to bring back the start menu

well, not a win8 user so i couldn't tell you even if i wanted :hehe:

Doesn't matter which has the most feature. All depends on which features you plan on using. Startisback works flawlessly for me. try them both and be your own judge.

fortheloveof***

i use start8 and have never tried startisback but from just looking startisback claims to be and looks like a win 7 clone. So i think if you want exactly what you have in win 7, including related options then startisback looks good.

but what really sells start8 for me is when you choose the windows 8 style start menu and you have the charm search built in.

this is what i am talking about. I don't want the old start menu any more.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/images/features/sizes_full.png

the apps shown will be whatever is in your start menu starting with the main ones then folders.

The image also shows the ways you can have it display, wide, tall and more. Charm is awesome and the expanded layout of startmenu items is very nice for me. I think this is a big improvement over the original start menu + search.

So again i think the answer is if you want a real windows 7 clone then Startisback looks nice and to be fair has a very good price (same with start8).

Or Start8 for more advanced features in terms of styling and usage as i have posted above.

Personally i think charm search is amazing. so a charm search start menu is better than anything windows 7 had

I, personally find that the search engine on the Charms Bar does not find some of the items that I'm able to locate using the search engine on the Start Menu. StartIsBack has a provision for both search engines to be used (one at a time):-

• The native full-blooded inbuilt search engine within the Start Menu and
  • The handicapped search engine on the Charms Bar (this can be disabled completely as per User choice.)

i've tried both but i can say startisback is better than start8 is lighter and its make you feel more like you are using windows 7 start menu!now opinions may differ its up to u :)

One fact about Windows 8 is that it does have a Start Menu, but - the code for the same is hidden away.

The reason that StartIsBack is lighter on resources is the fact that it uses that very same hidden code. Hence, StartIsBack is a native Start Menu - in other words, it's the hidden Windows 8 Start Menu.

The reason why Start8 is heavier on resources is that it uses it's own extra code - not the hidden Windows 8 Start Menu code. This extra code can be seen in the form of 2 extra services that are now required to run in the background.

Where they’re similar:

• Both of these do a good job of bringing back the start menu from Windows 7. Other options either try to implement a different type of menu or don’t do as good of a job approximating the Windows 7 start menu.
  • Both come with 30 day trials, and a price point of $5 or less.
  • Both of these are stable, have good performance, and continue to be actively developed.
  • Both of these can bypass the Windows 8 start screen, and take you directly to the desktop after you log in. Others I tried that had this feature seemed to momentarily show the start screen first.
  • Both can enable/disable charms on the desktop.
  • The list of recent programs is populated regardless of where the program was launched from. Other start menu replacements only seemed to populate the list if I launched the program from the custom start menu.

Where they’re different:

• StartIsBack uses all the bits of the Windows 7 start menu that are still present in Windows 8. It is the Windows 7 start menu.
  • Start8 can optionally be configured to show a start menu inspired by the Windows 8 start screen.
  • Start8 seems to have a few more configuration options available. For example, two separate options for what to do in response to the Windows key being pressed in either the desktop or in a modern/metro app. (Show the start menu, start screen, etc.)
  • Start8 integrates your modern/metro apps into the start menu. It lists them in your start menu programs, and allows you to search for them via the start menu.
  • StartIsBack has an option to make the start screen solely a launcher for modern/metro apps. It hides desktop apps completely (even from the start screen search).

Choice is up to u ! :wub:

fortheloveof***

Both can enable/disable charms on the desktop.

where did you get that info because i cannot do this when i use startisback. All i can do is

1: combine the windows8 and startisback right click context on bottom left to show the defuault winsdows 8 search as an option this is nothing to do with startisback.

2: allow for corners to running apps.

nothing i saw in the options allowed me to have the full metro style expanded start menu with charms search without leaving my desktp.

Can someone tell me what i missed i really can't see how startisback can have charms on the desktop that is not just windows 8 default search

Very nice little program though (startisback), glad i saw it recommended here. I do like it. I just already own start8.

May I suggest a third option? I tried Classic Shell and I liked it, it's highly customizable not to mention that it's FREE :)

That's a way too classic. I recall Win98 right here.

PS: Thanks for everything. I guess, being used to Start8 and using it as customer, i'll stick with it.

Do alternatives have any advantages?

• 2 weeks later...

StartIsBack.v1.3-CRD

iNSTALL NOTES
1.) Unpack and install
2.) Enjoy!

3.) :troll:

MD5 [startIsBack_setup.exe]: 96d4e60505ea8573eed7a162f379ca6f

DOWNLOAD:
Site: http://ge.tt/
Sharecode: api/1/files/6WetdvU/0/blob?download

That's a way too classic. I recall Win98 right here.

PS: Thanks for everything. I guess, being used to Start8 and using it as customer, i'll stick with it.

Do alternatives have any advantages?

Nah, it looks pretty cool. Not so different from the regular Windows 7 start menu. Check this screenshot.

startmenu3.png

Archived