Avast now takes advantage of Outpost’s firewall technology

AlienForce1

Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast

Parts of Outpost firewall and protocol parsing technologies are embedded into Avast’s comprehensive Internet Security solution

St. Petersburg, Russia — December 6, 2012. Agnitum, the PC security expert and manufacturer of the Outpost range of security products, is glad to announce a licensing contract with a prominent antivirus vendor Avast Software. Avast now takes advantage of Outpost’s best-of-breed firewall technology for the purpose of its all-in-one security product.

Agnitum’s technology now available to the licensee involves personal firewall, attack detection, parsing of HTTP as well as POP3, SMTP and IMAP protocols.

Given the complexity and diversity of today’s threats, users need protection that controls the main propagation route — their Internet connection. Zero-day threats, one of the newest and most difficult to detect, are becoming more frequent, and an appropriate response must be in place for users to have adequate security when they go online.

Posted ImagePosted Image

[Source]

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Moved to Security and Privacy News.

Too bad I just quit using Avast. I'm done with it. Like MSE and Kaspersky, Avast receives a thumbs down from me.

Like MSE and Kaspersky, Avast receives a thumbs down from me.

Kaspersky. Why?

From when I was using Kaspersky, the updates were slow and manual. For that reason, I chose to stick with nod32.

What's wrong with MSE and Avast though?

• Administrator

Kaspersky. Why?

(KIS) Memory leaks (900MB), bad UI, simple things are hard to do in it. Takes system over as if's an internal part of the OS. In many cases cause, slows down the system, etc. The only thing I have good to say about it is it's protection.

From when I was using Kaspersky, the updates were slow and manual. For that reason, I chose to stick with nod32.

Kaspersky never caused any update problems here. All was automatic in background.

MSE offers very less protection. Has CPU and memory leaks. And when I was on Windows 7, my PC's important file was messed up. Guess what, that important file getting messed up meant MSE stopped protecting me. Think about it, an malware can just delete or rename that file and MSE won't even be knowing and will stop working.

As for Avast, I've mentioned it before. It looks and feels good, but in real it slows down everything. From browsing to executing a file, everything goes slow as hell, with biggest impact being on my gaming. Don't believe me? Uninstall Avast and see the difference. (Note: I was using the free AV only version.) Not only that, it somehow disables my Comodo firewall's blocking ability. I saw that Windows 8 Manager was getting deactivated inspite of me adding it to Comodo. I checked it out and found that Avast prevented Comodo Firewall from blocking the application from contacting the internet. Later I found the problem seemed system wide. Why would I use an AV if it thinks my firewall software is bad and blocks it from taking care of the network? I uninstalled Avast just two days ago, ranted about the slowing down the softwares in their survey.

Kaspersky IS a really super nice antivirus software but I still use avast because I always keep my computer clean. I like the Kaspersky Rescue Disk which will get rid of stubborn boot up viruses and such.

No matter how good avast performs in the performance tests (AV-comparatives), nothing wins over your own personal experience. Try it and see the difference between with Avast and without. In my experience, avast is still not as light as ESS, although tests are showing ESS is not good in its protection.

avast is one of the lightest suites out there that i use. not sure why you had a problem. i agree ess is lighter though and almost the lightest suite out there (the lightest suite out is webroot complete) and i really like avira also but they have a poor firewall imo in the suite that is very basic.

as for kaspersky it has awesome protection especially good for rootkits and has great cleaning ability. i actually dont find the gui hard to use at all its just it offers a lot of options for customizing scans and other stuff so there will be a lot of menus etc. but overall kaspersky is some of the best protection out there just for sure slows the system down but the newest 2013 is SOOOOOO much better than i think any kaspersky since maybe the 2009 version as far as how light it is. they really made a huge improvement in the 2013 version but still to heavy for me to use on my own system, but kaspersky is still way lighter than bitdefender, gdata,viper and many others. it also has a really good firewall built in.

DKT, have you tried Symantec Endpoint Protection? I'd recommend that you try it out if you have time. Here's the link.

Oh..again

thread became AVs war :D

No single AV can catch every nasty things or running well on different PC specs

Kaspersky. Why?

(KIS) Memory leaks (900MB), bad UI, simple things are hard to do in it. Takes system over as if's an internal part of the OS. In many cases cause, slows down the system, etc. The only thing I have good to say about it is it's protection.

Kaspersky never caused any update problems here. All was automatic in background.

MSE offers very less protection. Has CPU and memory leaks. And when I was on Windows 7, my PC's important file was messed up. Guess what, that important file getting messed up meant MSE stopped protecting me. Think about it, an malware can just delete or rename that file and MSE won't even be knowing and will stop working.

As for Avast, I've mentioned it before. It looks and feels good, but in real it slows down everything. From browsing to executing a file, everything goes slow as hell, with biggest impact being on my gaming. Don't believe me? Uninstall Avast and see the difference. (Note: I was using the free AV only version.) Not only that, it somehow disables my Comodo firewall's blocking ability. I saw that Windows 8 Manager was getting deactivated inspite of me adding it to Comodo. I checked it out and found that Avast prevented Comodo Firewall from blocking the application from contacting the internet. Later I found the problem seemed system wide. Why would I use an AV if it thinks my firewall software is bad and blocks it from taking care of the network? I uninstalled Avast just two days ago, ranted about the slowing down the softwares in their survey.

so what av you would recommend to me? :D

I used Avast for years, and I never noticed any slowdowns of any kinds. It remains IMHO one of the best AV suites out there. Just my two cents.

Dunno what kinda system you're running on, I'm running Avast on quad-core i7 laptop with 8Gb mem, and there is no slow down's in my computer,also the AV is taking like 40Mb memory currently with 2-4% cpu usage, while doing a full system scan..

Maybe you should check your hardware and do a little upgrade. ;P

The Firewall in AIS isn't that good, but that should change with Agnitium's.

I'm eager to see the new version with outpost on it.

Avast has been the no.1 choice for me for years now.

Thanks for posting this information, I'm very delighted to hear it. :)

I also highly recommend the FREE android Avast Internet Security for your mobile.

I have it on my Samsung Galaxy S3, it's great.

avast is nice i've used it for several years then i ditched it for comodo internet security which i really like! but may be you had a bad experience with avast as not all system are alike may be it was buggy on yours! but hope you are happy with your new security set up :)

The only thing i want to see a better exclution and the web module terminates connection when a file is 99.9% downloaded. Anyway i am currently happy with CIS 6 Beta.

• Administrator

as for kaspersky it has awesome protection especially good for rootkits and has great cleaning ability. i actually dont find the gui hard to use at all its just it offers a lot of options for customizing scans and other stuff so there will be a lot of menus etc. but overall kaspersky is some of the best protection out there just for sure slows the system down but the newest 2013 is SOOOOOO much better than i think any kaspersky since maybe the 2009 version as far as how light it is. they really made a huge improvement in the 2013 version but still to heavy for me to use on my own system, but kaspersky is still way lighter than bitdefender, gdata,viper and many others. it also has a really good firewall built in.

The problems I had with Kaspersky was. One of them was the most important, disable internet, which all other IS offer in tray, in KIS, one had to make few clicks in the slider below, open firewall and then block internet. It is very important to me as I need it everytime I get an internet disconnection. So in bad internet, think about doing it again and again 15 times a day.

Another thing was, make Kaspersky ask you what to allow or block. I remember someone posting a tutorial on it. Why I need to modify 10 settings for which it should have done by default?

These are just couple of many problems I had with it.

DKT, have you tried Symantec Endpoint Protection? I'd recommend that you try it out if you have time. Here's the link.

Well, I'm AV-less right now. Waiting for ESET, might well try it now. I remember someone recommending it to me before. However I've also heard Norton does things by itself without asking you anything. Also hard is it's removal part. I guess the second thing can be solved by it's uninstaller, but not sure about the first.

so what av you would recommend to me? :D

I used to recommend ESET, but even it has gone bad to certain extent. Right now, I'm not liking any AVs.

Dunno what kinda system you're running on, I'm running Avast on quad-core i7 laptop with 8Gb mem, and there is no slow down's in my computer,also the AV is taking like 40Mb memory currently with 2-4% cpu usage, while doing a full system scan..

Maybe you should check your hardware and do a little upgrade. ;P

I also highly recommend the FREE android Avast Internet Security for your mobile.

I have it on my Samsung Galaxy S3, it's great.

i5, 4GB RAM PC here. Photoshop bends down in front of the computer, why can't an AV?

Using Avast on Android. :)

Avast now takes advantage of Outpost’s firewall technology

Great so they gona add a sucky firewall, way to go avast. I noticed slowdown immediately after installing avast too. Since version 6 and above it has gotten more bloated and slow. The thing I hate most about avast is their update system which is intrusive and built by idiots, during installation you can choose which modules you want to install which is great since they have like 12 scanner modules and 10 are useless and redundant. Yet when you do an automatic program update it goes right ahead and installs every component like a full install and NOT an update of your custom install. I have no patience for software built by retards and liars, if you call a function "update" then learn what the word means and do it right. Avast's only intention is to flood your system with their shitware so you can contribute to their cloud and facebook and market their product for them. Just remember this is my opinion, incase anyone from Avast reads this. :P

I have installed Avast IS recently.

After they had the Recommendation scheme.

Have a 2 year license.

I have removed half the modules from it.

It has been running fine so far.

I run Avast IS along with Outpost Fw (Purchased), on a lowely quad Q99x and 3 gb ram, never had any issues at all.

Well, I'm AV-less right now. Waiting for ESET, might well try it now. I remember someone recommending it to me before. However I've also heard Norton does things by itself without asking you anything. Also hard is it's removal part. I guess the second thing can be solved by it's uninstaller, but not sure about the first.

Well on default settings, it doesn't have my false positives. If you max out all the settings, then you have to deal with some false positives, mostly "medicines". However, it can easily be avoided by assigning a specific folder and adding it to the exclusions list. As for the second, you can easily and effectively remove SEP from your machine by 'CleanWipe' tool. I remember someone posting somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it now. I'd recommend that you give it a try, I personally tried out many AVs before I settled with SEP :)

• Administrator

Well on default settings, it doesn't have my false positives. If you max out all the settings, then you have to deal with some false positives, mostly "medicines". However, it can easily be avoided by assigning a specific folder and adding it to the exclusions list. As for the second, you can easily and effectively remove SEP from your machine by 'CleanWipe' tool. I remember someone posting somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it now. I'd recommend that you give it a try, I personally tried out many AVs before I settled with SEP :)

OK will do. Can't exclude any crack folder though.

CleanWipe tool is posted on the second post of the thread to linked to. :)

Archived