Early Christmas gift, Chromebook by Samsung

grouchysmurf

So, I was surprised this year with an early gift, a Google Chromebook by Samsung.

Now, I have never used a system like this, but since I am recently laid up with a knee injury, my wonderful wife picked me up this little netbook so I could relax in my recliner and still keep up with my favorite internet sites such as this one.

So, after a few days of playing with this, I have decided that I love it. It does everything I need it to do without the hassle of...an operating system.

That's right, no os. This book is simply a browser based system. No boot time, nothing to get jacked with a virus, and should something fubar the Chrome browser, a simple flick of a switch brings it right back to normal. Since there is no OS, there is nothing on this system to ruin. Everything I access with the Chromebook is online.....music, email, websites, chat, videos....whatever.

The video quality is fantastic, it will run HD video with out any time loss at all. You Tube is very fast, almost no loading time to speak of, the browser basically runs each tab in a sandbox configuration, so if one tab is fubar, you do not have to close the book and start again, you can just kill that tab.

The built in wifi is very easy to configure, and it connects almost instantly once done.

The initial set up will even migrate your bookmarks from your system if you have Chrome installed on a desktop.

This is not a regular laptop, Storage is minimal since everything it uses is on the cloud somewhere. There is no OS, so there is nothing to tweak, although it does have some settings for volume, browser, connection and the typical things associated with a rich browsing experience. You can load Chtome extensions, right now I have Adblock and Ghostery loaded in it.

This netbook is just pure surfing, no excess baggage. Small, light, comfortable to use with a six hour battery time, if you just want a fast surfing experience without all the rest than this book is worth a try.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Chrome OS is designed that way. :)

Anyway, what's the model?

The problem is that most of the countries don't have 24h and fast Internet for a cheap price ... its kind of hard to believe in that reality now... maybe in 2020 if i survive lol

Archived