Windows 8 sales "well below" Microsoft's expectations - Rumor

nsane.forums

A well known Microsoft insider website claims, via unnamed sources, that sales of Windows 8 are "well below Microsoft's internal projections" and the company might be blaming PC makers for low sales.

Posted Image

Sales of Windows 8 haven't met expectations, according to a new report citing unnamed sources.

Windows 8, along with new PCs that have Windows 8 pre-installed, have been available to purchase for three weeks now. But are early sales already tanking? A well know Microsoft insider website claims that is indeed the case.

Paul Thurrott, of Supersite for Windows, writes today that, based on unnamed sources, "Sales of Windows 8 PCs are well below Microsoft’s internal projections and have been described inside the company as disappointing." The article doesn't go into any more specifics in terms of unit sales, nor does it break down how many Windows 8 PCs have been sold versus how many software upgrades have been purchased.

The article does claim, again via its unnamed insider, that Microsoft puts part of the low Windows 8 sales blame on PC makers for creating new devices that were, in the company's opinion, "lackluster." However, it also speculates that the low Windows 8 sales could be caused by a number of other factors, including the UI design of Windows 8 itself and the overall state of the world economy.

Of course, Microsoft may have seen this coming and that could be one of the reasons why it decided to cut Steven Sinofsky, the head of the Windows division, loose this week. We have contacted Microsoft to see if they wish to comment on this report.

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson has responded but has told Neowin, "Microsoft doesn’t comment on rumors or speculation."

Posted Image View: Original Article

• Replies 29
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Exactly. A very small percentage of people using Win7 on their desktops/laptops will actually pay for an upgrade even though the cost is only $40 at most. From XP/Vista maybe, but if you've already paid for Win7 a year or two ago, I really cannot see any need for anybody to 'upgrade' ;) It's different for us, 'cuz we didn't have to pay for either. And yet, I can't see me changing over to Win8 on my work computer. :nono: Office 2010 on Win7 it is gonna remain :yes:

The only way to sell this thing would be to sell those fancy gadgets that goes with it. But whether consumers bite the bullet or not, pretty sure the corporates will still want Win7 to remain available. Maybe we'll even get a scenario of Vista-XP downgrade licenses, whereby people will want to 'downgrade' to W7 :o

That would be a shame, really. 'Cuz W8 does have it's strong points. Feels much lighter, newer and better build. But the removal of several important features and the schizophrenic changes from desktop to Metro for many 'apps', settings etc. are both confusing and irritating :mad2:

M$ should have done my suggestion. A choose boot option. You can choose the non desktop or you can choose a desktop like in previous versions. I expect by 2013 via windows updates this happening. Just a note, can you sort out the new line problem with the coding here in I.E. 10, it don't work.

M$ should have done my suggestion. A choose boot option. You can choose the non desktop or you can choose a desktop like in previous versions. I expect by 2013 via windows updates this happening.

Don't have to wait till 2013 - have got those 2 options (in fact, I have 3) in my Windows 8. 8)

Just a note, can you sort out the new line problem with the coding here in I.E. 10, it don't work.

Maybe you can try THIS. Worked for me both times I tried :thumbsup:

M$ should have done my suggestion. A choose boot option. You can choose the non desktop or you can choose a desktop like in previous versions. I expect by 2013 via windows updates this happening.

Don't have to wait till 2013 - have got those 2 options (in fact, I have 3) in my Windows 8. 8)

Pretty sure Rocketmen is talking about either Classic Shell, StartMenu8, or Win7 Explorer for Win8 (Freeware all) :thumbsup:

or indeed Start8 (Fix) or StartIsBack (Fix) :pirate:

There are a bunch of other options on this cnet article as well :dance:

no surprise here as I don't think people want an OS that tells M$ everything you install on your system unless you're too dumb to disable the smart screen from the customization menu.

some do but some just go with the defaults and nobody likes big brother to oversee wtf they're doing on a daily basis.

if anything, they should offer this OS at half the price....maybe then it will beat win7 in the sales department.

and how are the pc manufacturers to blame when it's clearly microcrap's fault to begin with...you can just force a seller to include your shit just because you say so...talk about dictatorship.

I would have upgraded from Windows 7 if they left the interface the same as it was in 7. Improve the performace and reliability of the OS and such and make it more powerful for us.

But no they had to be all fucken HIPSTER and delete the start button so they can stick Windows 8 up their ass. And a SAD FACE :( for a BSOD. Like seriously? Do I look like a fucking child that needs a sad smiley face when my computer BSOD's? I hope it flops and BALLMER can stick that OS up his fucking ass. No wonder these reviews saying, the sales are exteremly low for Windows 8, only 3% of people are using it worldwide as their primary OS, and MS is consdering bringing back the Start button for 8 since so many users are pist and confused and have downloaded the shit out of this program called START 8 (to bring the start menu back in Windows 8) so much that the program went from BETA to v1.03 already .... just because people hate that HIPSTER tile bullshit on their computer.

I'm sorry but I am one that likes to have my perfectly crisp desktop with rotating desktop HD images?? And Not a fucken black screen with a bunch of scrbilled garbage tiles all over it?? Constantly moving my mouse up and down and scrolling left to right to get to the things I need? Up yours Windows 8. Die in HELL!!!

Posted Image

I just also wanted to share this video for users haven't experienced Windows 8 and it shows you how much more work is involved now.

......... And a SAD FACE :( for a BSOD. Like seriously? Do I look like a fucking child that needs a sad smiley face when my computer BSOD's?....

So you've already had the time to get BSOD's on this thing? :o :P

I stick to win 7 :D only intrested in office 2013!

That was exactly my philosophy!!! :)

After installing Office 2013 on my Windows 7 I started liking the suite - it was then that I also realized that the metro GUI had ceased to piss me off (the Metro element was non-intrusive.) Later, upon being nudged by madeinheaven, calguyhunk and tezza, I took the full plunge into Windows 8.

Today, I enjoy my Windows 8 not because I got myself re-adjusted / re-aligned to metro - on the contrary, I made it my slave. It's all in the configuration.

......... And a SAD FACE :( for a BSOD. Like seriously? Do I look like a fucking child that needs a sad smiley face when my computer BSOD's?....

So you've already had the time to get BSOD's on this thing? :o :P

indeed sir. thats the whole point of testing an operating system. XP had BSOD's up the ass. Vista wasn't as bad. Windows 7 only experienced by bad harware (ie. bad ram testing)

Windows 8, a joke ... what an insult to someone that knows how to use a computer.

BAD_POOL_HEADER

do you want a screenshot>? what a fucking joke of an OS

As a consumer I should not have to pay (or use freeware/donationware/opensource) for third party add-ons to make an O.P.S. (operating system) work how it should work.

I do not want a touch screen.

I want a faster O.P.S.

I have tried Windows 8 pro (I purchased it) and it is faster, seems they are trying to go Mac, however until M$ update

and give me back the start button, menu, desktop etc...

I may never install it, sell it on amazon.co.uk or eBay and wait for 9.

Or I might think, screw it and I will go fully to Linux.

yes it they give people the start button it would end of story people would just love win8 as its really fast this was a bad marketing plot from ms as start screen and metro shit isnt needed on desktop

I don't think any software (leave aside an OS) comes gift wrapped - they all need to be customized as per one's individual needs. At default settings, all software suck - I, personally had 2 options before me:-

• Continue with Windows 7 and tweak up it's performance to match that of Windows 8 or
  • Employ Windows 8 and shape her looks to match that of Windows 7.
After many sleepless hours of dabbling with both the OSs, it dawned upon me that none of those 2 options was possible to the fullest (100%.) However, the degree to which that could be accomplished was by far higher through the second option.

Once, I was the most vitriolic opponent of Windows 8 - as I had to bend to its quirks. Today, with additional help from third party software, I have been able to make Windows 8 bend and conform to those Windows 7 advantages that matter to me.

Every individual who reads this needs to understand that his/her own tastes and preferences would be radically different from mine which I perfectly well understand and respect.

What I would fail to understand and respect is that Noob-like-behavior which binds one to slavery.

There's nothing wrong in resorting to third-party-applications to achieve your objective - whether Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I would have upgraded from Windows 7 if they left the interface the same as it was in 7. Improve the performace and reliability of the OS and such and make it more powerful for us.

But no they had to be all fucken HIPSTER and delete the start button so they can stick Windows 8 up their ass. And a SAD FACE :( for a BSOD. Like seriously? Do I look like a fucking child that needs a sad smiley face when my computer BSOD's? I hope it flops and BALLMER can stick that OS up his fucking ass. No wonder these reviews saying, the sales are exteremly low for Windows 8, only 3% of people are using it worldwide as their primary OS, and MS is consdering bringing back the Start button for 8 since so many users are pist and confused and have downloaded the shit out of this program called START 8 (to bring the start menu back in Windows 8) so much that the program went from BETA to v1.03 already .... just because people hate that HIPSTER tile bullshit on their computer.

I'm sorry but I am one that likes to have my perfectly crisp desktop with rotating desktop HD images?? And Not a fucken black screen with a bunch of scrbilled garbage tiles all over it?? Constantly moving my mouse up and down and scrolling left to right to get to the things I need? Up yours Windows 8. Die in HELL!!!

Posted Image

That's right! Flop! Flop! Flop! Windows 8! The start of the "Post-Microsoft-Windows-OS-Era" :secret: :lmao:

yes it they give people the start button it would end of story people would just love win8 as its really fast this was a bad marketing plot from ms as start screen and metro shit isnt needed on desktop

And also aero, smart windows search, and all the nice features they removed! :angry:

As a consumer I should not have to pay (or use freeware/donationware/opensource) for third party add-ons to make an O.P.S. (operating system) work how it should work.

I do not want a touch screen.

I want a faster O.P.S.

I have tried Windows 8 pro (I purchased it) and it is faster, seems they are trying to go Mac, however until M$ update

and give me back the start button, menu, desktop etc...

I may never install it, sell it on amazon.co.uk or eBay and wait for 9.

Or I might think, screw it and I will go fully to Linux.

No third party software, whether it's freeware or for profit , should be needed just to customize windows 8 will result to a much faster system and more ram available to us.

Bit I am still waiting for that experiment project by @RocketMan ;) to bring windows 8 looks like windows 7!

No third party software, whether it's freeware or for profit , should be needed just to customize windows 8 will result to a much faster system and more ram available to us.

Bit I am still waiting for that experiment project by @RocketMan ;) to bring windows 8 looks like windows 7!

Unfortunately, that involves resorting to third-party-software (whether free or shareware is irrelevant to a :pirate:)

Fortunately, those third-party-software do not impact performance - on the contrary, they were also used to tweak the performance of my previous OS Windows 7.

Unfortunately, that involves resorting to third-party-software (whether free or shareware is irrelevant to a :pirate:)

Fortunately, those third-party-software do not impact performance - on the contrary, they were also used to tweak the performance of my previous OS Windows 7.

Well, if that's the case then I may stalk on you rocketman 24/7. hehe! Release the kraken! Rocketman! I'm waiting for it! hehe! ;)

I'm not a :pirate: , I happened to download and use it for free. hehe! :lol:

Well, if that's the case then I may stalk on you rocketman 24/7. hehe! Release the kraken! Rocketman! I'm waiting for it! hehe! ;)

I'm not a :pirate: , I happened to download and use it for free. hehe! :lol:

One little tip for you. ;)

Archived