Favourite movie of all time?

Fluffy

• Replies 89
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Wait, doesn't imbd cost money though? :/

Nope. Only some additional, extra features need money. In normal cases, free account is the most a person will need.

I thought maybe a younger movie watcher may not have heard of some of the great films. That's all I meant. Older people won't have time left to watch 250 films :D

It's just a list, so watch films wherever you like. Better than watching the crap new films that come out (Not all are crap btw)

I agree with many in this list as being very good. It's a good list B)

Incidentally, just watching 'The avengers' (again in BluRay)

Who HASN'T seen the avengers??

i feel the odd one out :(

And who HASN'T seen transformers?

I've not seen them :lol: I might watch The Avengers some time but only when it's on TV.

• Administrator

Transformers is great too. All those graphics effects looked like some year 2020 graphics engine was used to make those movies.

I know many won't agree, but Star Wars Episode 3, the Revenge of the Sith is the most powerful and heart breaking movie I've ever seen. On the other hand, Star Wars Episode 4, A new Hope, has been most inspiring. :)

Another two great classic movies are The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur by Charlton Heston.

I thought maybe a younger movie watcher may not have heard of some of the great films. That's all I meant. Older people won't have time left to watch 250 films :D

It's just a list, so watch films wherever you like. Better than watching the crap new films that come out (Not all are crap btw)

I agree with many in this list as being very good. It's a good list B)

Quite the contrary actually :P

Transformers is great too. All those graphics effects looked like some year 2020 graphics engine was used to make those movies.

I know many won't agree, but Star Wars Episode 3, the Revenge of the Sith is the most powerful and heart breaking movie I've ever seen. On the other hand, Star Wars Episode 4, A new Hope, has been most inspiring. :)

Another two great classic movies are The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur by Charlton Heston.

I thought you only watched it for Megan Fox. :wub:

• Administrator

:lol:

A geek gets erection by technology, women come later. :P

Jokes apart, Megan Fox is a nice addon to the movie. :blush:

I like James Bond and Harry Potter movies too. My father is a big time James Bond fan, so am I. :)

:lol:

A geek gets erection by technology, women come later. :P

Jokes apart, Megan Fox is a nice addon to the movie. :blush:

I like James Bond and Harry Potter movies too. My father is a big time James Bond fan, so am I. :)

Geez, I haven't seen ANY of the James Bond movies!!

Hate to be the nitpick here, but as you know, the British spelling differs from the American variety in several ways (mostly concerning the grapheme - phoneme dilemma), resulting in certain words being spelled differently "across the pond", if you will. The word "favourite" (much like colour, centre, neighbour, honour, etc.) is one of them. So, if you're British, or choose to adhere to the British rule-set, that's the proper spelling.

Now, after this brief interlude, while I fully approve the choices of Nima and Floppy, I can't say I have one, or even half a dozen all-time favourite films. It moves in cycles, and the list of the ones who've been at the top during the last few times I'd tried to remember them would be quite long. But, without further ado, I present to you one of my currently most interesting films - American Psycho.

• Administrator

Hate to be the nitpick here, but as you know, the British spelling differs from the American variety in several ways (mostly concerning the grapheme - phoneme dilemma), resulting in certain words being spelled differently "across the pond", if you will. The word "favourite" (much like colour, centre, neighbour, honour, etc.) is one of them. So, if you're British, or choose to adhere to the British rule-set, that's the proper spelling.

The whole internet rages over the British English vs American English debate. :P

Personally, I'll always prefer to use British English as much as possible, cause it's correct and original English.

The whole internet rages over the British English vs American English debate. :P

Personally, I'll always prefer to use British English as much as possible, cause it's correct and original English.

:stupid:

Well, that's why I hate to be the nitpick. xD

One could argue the linguistic validities, semantics, syntax, etc... in favour of it being one and the same language (some dialects of American speech has more variety than the actual British counterpart). However, it is the recent historical norm which has, again arguably, made the whole debate moot - language today reflects politics, and true linguistic norms are things which are of concern to linguists alone. Therefore, if you have a country, you have a right to name the locally-spoken tongue whatever you want.

What most people forget, is that if you have a certificate in English, it is most probably of the British variety. All those schoolbooks are Longmann, Oxford, Cambridge, etc... and practically the whole of Europe is taught British English. What is a great shame is the fact that most people lack the capacity to apply British pronunciation. So you get the false impression that AmE is more widespread, while, in fact, we can never tell for sure. In my grammar school, we had to pick a preference - AmE or BrE, and from then onwards the other variety was regarded as incorrect in all tests, essays, etc... Sadly, I was the only one picking BrE...

Hard to believe all this was sparked by a single letter. Hopefully this won't spark a debate (However, if someone wishes to argue the merits in a separate topic, I'm game. :rofl:).

I just hate it when people go around correcting posts for spelling and grammer. It's the internet for christs sake not an exam room.

The place is available to just about every country in the world, which is a hell of a lot of people with different levels of skill in languages.

I think i'm lucky in having English as my native language as it does seem to be the most written language on the net (from where I surf to anyway)

Just look how many nationalaties write on this forum in English :o If it was another language such as German, Swedish etc etc I'd be screwed, not able to write a thing here without using a translator.

Dyslexia is quite common along with other things that hinder peoples typing, reading and whatever. Would you want to point out something they wrote isn't correct? That's quite insulting imo.

If you have nothing better to do with your time than go around correcting peoples spelling I feel sorry for you. The only writing that annoys me is text speak, fine in a text with limited space but forum posts of it are quite anoying. If you can't spell in English I suppose it's fair enough though.

One word in English and American that makes me laugh is aluminium :lol:

Now, after this brief interlude, while I fully approve the choices of Nima and Floppy, I can't say I have one, or even half a dozen all-time favourite films. It moves in cycles, and the list of the ones who've been at the top during the last few times I'd tried to remember them would be quite long. But, without further ado, I present to you one of my currently most interesting films - American Psycho.

Random much?

Random much? :s ... I'm confused...!

I just hate it when people go around correcting posts for spelling and grammer. It's the internet for christs sake not an exam room.

The place is available to just about every country in the world, which is a hell of a lot of people with different levels of skill in languages.

I think i'm lucky in having English as my native language as it does seem to be the most written language on the net (from where I surf to anyway)

Just look how many nationalaties write on this forum in English :o If it was another language such as German, Swedish etc etc I'd be screwed, not able to write a thing here without using a translator.

I agree. However, it's only once in a blue moon that you get to correct someone who's correcting someone. xDDDDDDDD

It's just too good to pas up, even for someone like me, who usually doesn't correct people.

As far as I'm concerned, the correcting must always start from oneself, and whenever aired out, it should be constructive and informative (granted, not many people would be interested in the post where I explained the whole ding-doodle, but a man can measure things only by himself, and I would relish at the opportunity to learn something new.). Mistakes happen, and we don't notice them all the time, but for many people, it sticks out. I'm not defending the condescending involved in correcting, but only saying that I can relate. All this being said, I do take the time to edit a post whenever I see that I've made a pooper.

Random much?

Look to the second or third post. xD
Aww naah it's fine by me.. Know you didn't mean it :D it was just a typo LOL

I didn't take much notice of that.

It's just the internet anyway :)

Love nsaners :D

Sometimes it is hilarious when a misspell creates something different entirely :lol: Then it's hard to let it go.

The post that then gets edited and corrected causes all manner of confusion to subsequent readers :huh:

Random much?

Aww naah it's fine by me.. It was just a typo...LOL! You guys actually made me laugh :D ...getting into tha, never mind :)

Random much?

Aww naah it's fine by me.. It was just a typo...LOL! You guys actually made me laugh :D ...getting into tha, never mind :)

Archived