It is much better and faster and on Win 8.1 is superfast

If that's the case then i need to go Win8.1 then!. Which is the best version at the moment? I saw so many tutorial and version in getting Win8 up.. it's like scary @@. Which is best and easiest?

Go with Windows 8.1 Pro...if you need WMC,you can add to it later....Enterprise is not needed for gamers...Get StartIsBack+ for Windows 8.1..if you like it...

• Replies 70
  • Views 100.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dMog

• nIGHT

• tezza

• hamede

Top Posters In This Topic

question..i have windows 8 ..came with a new computer... it is an HP notebook i don't think the model really makes any difference to my question... HP recommends that updates to audio driver and other software such as drivers for video cards and wifi and and the like...get updated through HP update and not microsoft update...opinions please...

november_ra1n

question..i have windows 8 ..came with a new computer... it is an HP notebook i don't think the model really makes any difference to my question... HP recommends that updates to audio driver and other software such as drivers for video cards and wifi and and the like...get updated through HP update and not microsoft update...opinions please...

I am on HP too there is specification and PC Driver section on HP website here is my PC and all latest driver follow the link on the search write your PC model then you get your driver related with your Model Name:

HP ENVY h8-1500et Desktop PChttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5351394

Except few driver update such as Bios UPDATE i don't use HP side cause i get new drivers somewhere else HP always behind but still its good to go there to get information about your driver then use this info search newest drivers somewhere

station driver my pain source i have almost everything there but be specific about what driver and model name etc you are on!

http://www.station-drivers.com/https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspxhttp://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-ushttp://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/http://www.necacom.net/
Edited by november_ra1n

i have HP updates on my computer and it will notify me when updates are available from HP... just wondering if i should use that alone and not go the lets say the web site of the maker of the sound card or the maker of the video driver instead

ps thanks for the quick response

Edited by dMog

november_ra1n

i have HP updates on my computer and it will notify me when updates are available from HP... just wondering if i should use that alone and not go the lets say the web site of the maker of the sound card or the maker of the video driver instead

ps thanks for the quick response

Personally i get driver from manufacturer such as NVIDIA or Realtex cause as i said HP Driver is mostly behind but be specific about driver instead of download and install wrong one.

Edited by november_ra1n

@dMog, for system component and drivers, it's good to download them from OEM. But for windows 8 update you should get them via regular windows update. If your OEM also provides updates for windows 8, that's may be due to some sort of BSOD or buggy scenario created by some updates from microsoft.

IMO, the factory installed OS is cr@p. May be this is only my feeling but I never felt comfortable with factory installed ones. If you are planning to reformat then you may instal windows updates dircet from microsoft.

@rudax.. but i do not have a the install dvd for windows 8...nobody supplies that any more with new computers..will the serial # on my note book suffice to do a clean install then update to 8.1 from microsoft

luv this site..lots of knowledge here

@dmog, yup definitely you can use the serial that's printed back in a label in your notebook. But the key will only activate the edition that's provided by default from your OEM. I mean, if you have windows 8 core edition right now then the key provided will only unlock the 'core' edition not the 'pro' edition.

@november_ra1n

I am HP also , this is page of my model , as you explain before

h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=4145202

I do not see W8.1 - any thing can I do

Edited by hamede

@november_ra1n

h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=4145202

not so much worried about windows 8.1 update as i know that will come form microsoft update... just wondering about all the other stuff like sound drivers and other hardware software updates..thanks all question answered..will most likely do a total clean install of windows and then update to 8.1 then install all my othersoftware and programs from scratch

november_ra1n

@november_ra1n

There is no any difference between Windows 7, 8. 8.1 Drivers who ever using any driver from any of this edition they most likely computable each other the page you have seen about Windows 8 cause thats how i have my OEM Windows belongs to.

There is another search in HP you can divided the search depends on your Windows Edition but i don't use much if you really need it pm me your model then i will get 4 you.

Nowadays Manufacturer making universal driver such as Intel they dont have different driver for different edition of Windows maybe XP is the exception

Edited by november_ra1n

@rudax.. but i do not have a the install dvd for windows 8...nobody supplies that any more with new computers..will the serial # on my note book suffice to do a clean install then update to 8.1 from microsoft

@dMog

Win 8 PCs embed their product keys in the BIOS. As rudrax said you must install the right edition and as long as you do, it will automatically read the key from the BIOS and activate.

( As a precaution i would also check the key with Windows 8 Product Key Viewer or RW-Everything and keep a note before proceeding with a clean install :) )

@dMog

Win 8 PCs embed their product keys in the BIOS. As rudrax said you must install the right edition and as long as you do, it will automatically read the key from the BIOS and activate.

( As a precaution i would also check the key with Windows 8 Product Key Viewer or RW-Everything and keep a note before proceeding with a clean install :) )

yes...i have windows product key logged and written down on paper as well on a file on a stand alone hard drive along with all my other pictures and documents i cannot afford to lose

It is much better and faster and on Win 8.1 is superfast

If that's the case then i need to go Win8.1 then!. Which is the best version at the moment? I saw so many tutorial and version in getting Win8 up.. it's like scary @@. Which is best and easiest?

Go with Windows 8.1 Pro...if you need WMC,you can add to it later....Enterprise is not needed for gamers...Get StartIsBack+ for Windows 8.1..if you like it...

I saw the post it seems that most version need phone activation? No other way? I'm from asian countries.. If i were to make overseas call it'll cost me a bomb. No other alternatives?

I saw the post it seems that most version need phone activation? No other way? I'm from asian countries.. If i were to make overseas call it'll cost me a bomb. No other alternatives?

Just post your installation id with the last five digits of the key you used...in this thread many nsaners are providing activation help...

FYI,you can also make free calls from skype to activation centers....

Edited by NSFfan

• 4 weeks later...

most posts i saw are people requesting keys and activation and stuff.. let's discuss about windows 8.1 :D. i saw a lot of negativity on windows 8. i installed it and kinda like it compared to 7 now. the dpi scaling seems proper compared to windows 7.

also.. although the metro is not so user friendly at first i seems to kind of like it now. wondering why people hate it so much? ya i understand the hate because it's closely resemble for a touch screen mobile.

i did struggle but have to do some google and read up to use up windows 8. but i'm all good now. i actually feels good because the shortcut key is nice. win+q/w works good for me. only problem to close an app i have to alt+f4.. i can't use ctrl+w (which i more prefer).

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 8.1 has a lot to offer though it is touch screen target (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465415.aspx) but the original start button request issue. 8.1 start button did not completely meet some users needs as they may still like the interface to open as in the earlier versions.

The start button is back but not the start menu. I'm not sure i don't miss the start menu. Perhaps they should make it how it should look when it's at the "Metro Apps By Name" screen when user press the windows key?

I like the search on windows8 where it immediately search everything when you type something. So i can easily find what i want. The only thing i hate with windows is that it forced me to sign in using my hotmail account.

The only thing i hate with windows is that it forced me to sign in using my hotmail account.

You can switch to a local account when you want. Or are you talking about the apps?