Call 911, Nokia's stock is dying

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Camp Nokia is having a rough morning with its stock down over 9% as the company's future has been called in to question time and time again. We also keep hearing acquisition rumors, but are they true?

Posted Image

If you have a strong stomach, take a look at Nokia's stock performance over the past few months and you will see a bleak picture. As of this writing, Nokia's stock is down over 9% on the day to less than a gallon of gas. The price, ~2.16 per share, is below their 52 week range signaling that Nokia stock is not on a short decline, but a systemic fall.

Nokia is certainly in a tough position as it has just announced that it will layoff 10k employees and is initiating drastic re-organization of the company. With Microsoft announcing that current Windows Phone devices will not be upgraded to Windows Phone 8, Nokia will have a tough time effectively marketing its current generation of smartphone. Yes, Windows Phone 7.8 will be a welcomed upgrade and will bring it to visual parity with launch Windows Phone 8 devices, they are still a dying breed as Windows Phone 8 applications will not be backwards compatible (current Windows Phone applications will work on Windows Phone 8 ).

Nokia's future is uncertain which is why the stock is falling but the company is not alone. RIM also finds itself in a similar position but that company is still sticking to its own OS and hardware, for now. For Nokia, it is hard to ignore the noise that Microsoft is likely to aquire the company as these rumors have been circling the Internet ever since the two announced their partnership. While switching to Windows Phone 7 was a big gamble, the future of the company will be determined with Windows Phone 8.

Seeing as Nokia is expected to run out of cash reserves in 2013, if Windows Phone 8 doesn't generate stable cash flow, the company will sink even further and put in a vulnerable place for acquisition. The question is, can Nokia maintain its heading and come out on on the other-side of Windows Phone 8 stronger than ever, or will the company simply fold under the increasing pressure of the mobile segment?

Posted Image View: Original Article

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Android could save them, but they don't want to switch to it.

Their Lumia 900 has treated me pretty well. Shame I won't be able to upgrade it to WP8 without using the WP7 to WP8 hacks that I KNOW will come out as a result. Am glad I sold their stock when I did. It hurt me enough as it is.

I will be happy if Microsoft acquires Nokia, all their recent phones have been tasteless, ugly, and crappy. Nokia needs a flagship OS that works, they need to give up on their inhouse bullshit OS and focus on hardware that supports Windows Phone and Android. Nokia has been pouring out low quality phones just like Motorola, they think they could ride on past reputations but that is hopeless at this point with Samsung and HTC making phones that actually appeal to the market.

Since Google acquired motorola mobile department it would be a good idea for Microsoft to try to acquire Nokia. Windows Phones are very difficult to purchase on the International market which puts Microsoft at a serious disadvantage. In fact I can't find a single unlocked Samsung Focus S to buy from a reputable source. I want to see what features Windows Phone 8 will bring to challenge Android Jelly Bean.

If Nokia had gone for Android, I'd have a Nokia phone right now instead of Samsung :P

PurplebeanZ

WP7.5 is so much nicer than Android!

Doesn't need a quad core cpu and still runs smoother and faster ;)

• Administrator

Their Lumia 900 has treated me pretty well. Shame I won't be able to upgrade it to WP8 without using the WP7 to WP8 hacks that I KNOW will come out as a result. Am glad I sold their stock when I did. It hurt me enough as it is.

That's just crazy IMO. Lumia 900 not getting W8? M$ and Nokia are losing their senses.

WP7.5 is so much nicer than Android!

Doesn't need a quad core cpu and still runs smoother and faster ;)

So is ICS. I'm running ICS smoooothly on a 1GHz single core, 512RAM phone. Don't forget, Android is highly customizable and performance boost able too. :)

The only thing that pisses me off with ICS is it's the all time blurry contact pictures phone OS. lol. Google boasts that they could offer you 7GB email storage but they won't allow you to store hi-res contact photos? It makes ICS presentation horrible in front of others. I went back to Gingerbread because atleast the contact photos are tiny so I barely notice the lack of quality on the contact pictures when people call me. Yes sure there are apps to fix this in the market but it never syncs, the problem is Google. This is an ongoing issue with Google, it's been so for years and people complain to them and they still refuse to fix it.

Contact photos on Windows Phone look so clear and crisp in front my Android. WP7 looks polished and clean in front of Android.

The only thing that pisses me off with ICS is it's the all time blurry contact pictures phone OS. lol. Google boasts that they could offer you 7GB email storage but they won't allow you to store hi-res contact photos? It makes ICS presentation horrible in front of others. I went back to Gingerbread because atleast the contact photos are tiny so I barely notice the lack of quality on the contact pictures when people call me. Yes sure there are apps to fix this in the market but it never syncs, the problem is Google. This is an ongoing issue with Google, it's been so for years and people complain to them and they still refuse to fix it.

Contact photos on Windows Phone look so clear and crisp in front my Android. WP7 looks polished and clean in front of Android.

if thats your only complaint, then id say your still doing just fine.. i don't need a high res image to know who's calling me or who i want to call.

it was about time , that this mess will be happening

they stuck with keep doing Symbian OS which was losing the market to Apple & Google

they should've moved to WP [at least] along time ago , WP is still considered a live-able OS compared to Symbian

• Administrator

I think both an Android Nokia phone and W7 or W8 Nokia Phone can co exist. :)

It can, but it is believed that part of the deal with M$ was that Nokia is not allowed to make Android phones.

Well that does not sound fair... I think Nokia should partner up with Google and drop MS it will gain more market if it switches to Android OS no doubt.

• Administrator

Well that does not sound fair... I think Nokia should partner up with Google and drop MS it will gain more market if it switches to Android OS no doubt.

Yup, everyone is echoing your thoughts. Nokia should never had any deals with M$. They picked the temporary solution when they were in need for money, and now, they are losing even more money.

Archived