Review: Phoenix Launcher

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Neowin takes a look at Phoenix Launcher for Android, seeing just how authentic the Ice Cream Sandwich design is on non-ICS devices.

Ask an Android power user what they love about their device, and you'll almost always get the same response: customizability. Truth be told, that's entirely valid. Android excels when it comes to customization, and a lot of it doesn't even require a rooted device to enjoy.

The most comprehensive of these modifications without a root is a launcher. A launcher dictates everything you see when you look through your apps. App icons, app ordering, widgets, and almost everything else are determined by the launcher. Many people might not realise this, but they can change their device launcher.

If you spend enough time looking around different technology focused websites you might notice a recurring point among users. They don't like TouchWiz. They don't like Sense. They especially don't like MOTOBLUR. But occasionally they like the concept of rooting even less.

That's where Phoenix Launcher comes in. Many people have observed Android's Ice Cream Sandwich as being the most beautiful release of the operating system yet. That's why it comes as a shame to people with handsets that can't be upgraded to ICS officially, assuming they don't have the specs and don't want to root.

I'm in both camps. The Samsung Galaxy Ace (ie. my daily phone and also the device used in this review) has only 256MB of RAM, so is not going to see an official update in all probability. I don't want to root either, but this isn't what I'm going to be discussing in this article. This article is about Phoenix Launcher; a free (and paid) launcher that claims to recreate the ICS experience on non-ICS devices.

Before I delve into the features offered by Phoenix Launcher, I would like to thank its developer for providing an APK of the full version for review. The developer, Andreas Bratfisch, also alerted me that he removed the free version of the app from the Play Store in order to refine it, though this is expanded upon later in the review.

Looks and Customization

Posted Image

Article continued at source (link below)...

Posted Image View: Original Article

• Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived