Nokia: Phones with huge screens are stupid

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

If you were hoping that Nokia might release a Windows Phone with a larger display than the Lumia 900's 4.3" screen, you may be out of luck, as a company executive dismisses big screens as 'stupid'.

mSpXU.png

There’s been something of a trend in recent years for manufacturers to deliver ever-larger screens on smartphones. While the display on Apple’s iPhone hasn’t grown beyond 3.5”, screen sizes on rival devices have crept up and up, leading to handsets with vast screens like HTC’s TITAN (4.7”), Samsung’s Galaxy Note (5.3”), and the awkwardly proportioned LG Optimus Vu (5”, but with a 4:3 aspect ratio).

For some consumers, big screens are a great thing, but not everyone agrees. Nokia, which is poised to launch its 4.3” Lumia 900 in the US later this month, is apparently one of the naysayers when it comes to over-sized displays on smartphones. Speaking with Pocket-lint at MWC, Niklas Savander, executive vice president at Nokia, believes that the race to the top of the big-screen pile is a fad that will soon end.

“There is a ‘monster truck syndrome’ coming soon in my opinion; that at some point in time, people will just say ‘this is stupid’,” he said. “It is hard to say when that will happen, but advances should be about what new technologies we can create, not just about making screens bigger.”

He added that, while some might feel that Nokia’s range of Windows Phones needs a handset with an even larger display than the Lumia 900’s 4.3” affair, he doesn’t believe it’s necessary. With a bigger screen than that, he says, “it then becomes a tablet, and then we can have a tablet discussion.”

9EbBg.png

Of course, there are plenty of people who would love to have a tablet discussion with Nokia – the prospect of a large slate developing the design themes previewed in the Lumia 800 and 900 is a tantalising one indeed – but for now, if you were hoping that Nokia might release a Lumia Windows Phone with a larger display, it looks like you’re out of luck.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Yeah, and phones with 41 Megapixel camera makes sense, right.

Kinda agree, big phones aren't too fun, but he should look at what Nokia itself is doing first.

Yeah, and phones with 41 Megapixel camera makes sense, right.

Kinda agree, big phones aren't too fun, but he should look at what Nokia itself is doing first.

nokia 808 is just a joke to make.. :moon: ..soon nokia phones will come in comedy shows on TV

PurplebeanZ

Screen > 3.7" = :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit:

I totally agree with Nokia here. Why would I buy a phone which I can't put in my pocket? Yes, huge screens are stupid.

Cheers ;)

RadioActive

Well larger screens are better on the eyes especially for those with less-than-perfect eyesight. I for one like my 4.3" screen (SGS2) but I do agree that sizes larger than 4" can be somewhat impractical, that excludes tablets of course since it's a different story.

i recently purchased the Galaxy Note with approx 5.6" screen size . !

and yea there are issues if we consider the device as a phone .

>its not small .

>wont fit into pocket easily .

>cant use the phone single handedly . esp not for dialing a phone number .

but do i care ?

NO !

say it a little price to pay or a little compromise , if we consider the performance of the phone .

>absolutely stunning display .

>1280 X 800 pixels jammed into just 5" inches of high contrast AMOLED screen . protected with the Corning Glass . its simply the best !

>1.4 Ghz Dual Core processor with 1 gb RAM . things just glide through the interface . all smooth and feathery .

>The Gaming Experience on the phone is just to real to believe one is playing on a phone !

>Excellent camera records full HD videos .

>Awesome music player .

so it aint that bad at all ..

basically boils down to if one is comfortable enough to use such a hybrid device ....

but definitely not Stupid as the Nokia puts it ...

I always wanted to walk around in a crowded mall with an ipad on my ears talking like I'm on the phone, just to see the expression on people's faces. :rofl:

For me, anything above 4.7 inch is a tablet.

Agree with DKT27, and also isnt bigger than 4.3 more of a tablet than a mobile phone o_O?

I agree, bigger than 4.3" is more like a tablet than a phone.

@DKT nokia 808 is not a 41 MP camera fone but it has a 41 MP sensor and off course i am with the peop;e who thinks their fones should be fit in the pocket

well for bigger screen users they can use their device as a weapon some times :P

grouchysmurf

Yeah, it's me again.

I had a rotary phone, big, black, plugged into the wall, tied to the counter, hell of a ringer on it.

Then everyone said "You need a cordless phone". Ok, got a cordless. Had an antennae, I could walk around with it,

no more standing in one spot, had nicer ringers on it, and push buttons.

Then everyone said, "You gotta try the new wireless!! You can go anywhere with it!". Ok, picked up a wireless. Looked like

a freakin' walkie-talkie on steroids, came with a belt clip, could take it anywhere, was able to use it most of the time, (depending on where I was at the time), had a glowing screen that showed the number I was dialing and cooler ringers.

Then everyone said, "You gotta get rid of that BIG clunker, look at the new flip phones! They are small, fit right in your pocket!). Ok, I went and got a flip phone. Had a little color screen, caller ID, nifty ring tones that I could select. Nice and small.

Now it seems we are going in the other direction again. Welcome to a "market" driven society. A phone that emails reports?

Navigation? Web Browsing? Built in Facebook, Google, games, antivirus apps, camera, able to store more music than you use to be able to carry in your tape case. Spawning things like tablets, (something in between a notebook and a smartphone).

I think I will just wait this out. I will get the chip implant when they finally come out with it. In the meantime, I think I will try and find that old rotary phone.........

i think handphone like samsung galaxy note is too big. for me, handphone with 3.5-4 inch screen is enough, make me easily type everything i want. and i dont like handpone which has small screen, like galaxy Y, it will make me harder to type, and "false typing" will often happens

Archived