New Windows 8 logo confirmed by Microsoft

DKT27

• Administrator

Microsoft has confirmed that it is redesigning the Windows logo for the release of Windows 8 and goes into detail as to how the new logo look was created.

Earlier in February, Internet leaks showed that Microsoft was creating a new Windows logo for the launch of Windows 8. At the time of the reports, Microsoft didn't confirm or deny any plans to change the logo and some writers even said it was a hoax. Today, Microsoft revealed that the reports were true and that it was indeed redesigning the logo for Windows 8.

K5pRh.jpg

In a post on the Blogging Windows web site, Sam Moreau, the Principal Director of User Experience for Windows, said that the company had a number of goals in mind when creating the Windows 8 logo. One was using a font similar to the International Typographic Style that was an influenc on Metro's design. He states:

Using bold flat colors and clean lines and shapes, the new logo has the characteristics of way-finding design systems seen in airports and subways.

Moreau added that Microsoft wanted the new logo to look like something created with digital materials rather than real world materials like glass or wood, saying, "It has motion – aligning with the fast and fluid style you’ll find throughout Windows 8." He added:

Our final goal was for the new logo to be humble, yet confident. Welcoming you in with a slight tilt in perspective and when you change your color, the logo changes to reflect you. It is a “Personal” Computer after all.

The third party design company Pentagram assisted Microsoft in the creation of the new Windows 8 logo. Among other things, Pentagram helped to create a new design for Time magazine and designed the logo for the Guitar Hero game franchise. Moreau writes that in a meeting to discuss the new logo, one of Pentagram's designed, Paula Scher, asked the question, "Your name is Windows. Why are you a flag?"

Dut9m.jpg

Indeed, as the blog shows, most of the previous versions of the Windows logo look more like a flag than a window, thanks to the logo looking like it is moving and flapping in the wind like a flag. However the very early versions of the Windows logo looked much more like a true window. Moreau writes:

"Windows" really is a beautiful metaphor for computing and with the new logo we wanted to celebrate the idea of a window, in perspective. Microsoft and Windows are all about putting technology in people's hands to empower them to find their own perspectives. And that is what the new logo was meant to be. We did less of a re-design and more to return it to its original meaning and bringing Windows back to its roots – reimagining the Windows logo as just that – a window.

The new Windows 8 logo is certainly a big departure compared to the Windows 3.1 days which all of the other Windows logos have emulated. While it still looks a bit like a stiff flag, it definitely has more of a true window design.

:view: View: Original Article

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, that is a really cool banner of all the different microsoft logos, never seen microsoft 1.0. But as for Windows 8... I could give a shit XD

• Administrator

where do I download windows 8? [not the developer preview....]

Windows 8 Beta, AKA "Consumer Preview" will be available around 29th Feb. There's no other, proper way to download it at the moment. I doubt that anyone has got their hands on the beta yet (leaking it I mean).

where do I download windows 8? [not the developer preview....]

Windows 8 Beta, AKA "Consumer Preview" will be available around 29th Feb. There's no other, proper way to download it at the moment. I doubt that anyone has got their hands on the beta yet (leaking it I mean).

That's what i know... it can't be on the internet yet!

Tthese guys here in the university are sharing around a .iso they say were sent as a comsumer prewiew test to the IT lab by microsoft and some dude stole a DVD, copied it and put it back,...

WIN 8 is for touch screens... win 7 is better for Laptops and desktops.

I multibooted. trust me, WIN 8 starts up and shuts down fast, but the start menu is stupid for mouse users...

That new logo looks.....so freaking boring. There needs to be a few dead birds splatted on the glass or something...ANYTHING TO MAKE IT MORE FUN!

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

NdZQ6.png

Has someone noticed the similarity to windows 1.0? :D

Is Microsoft going to say Win 8 is going to be the same crap win 1.0 was?

16 Colors ftw -.-

• Administrator

@Avitar: What build is it? Can you check? Cause from that one can know if it's Pre-beta (most likely, as Beta build wasn't finalized until late Jan or something) or anything else.

@Ambrocious: Nice. :D

@Ganxxta: Indeed it's similar. Here's the Windows 1.0 logo full (source Microsoft blog):

vijZl.png

That new logo looks.....so freaking boring. There needs to be a few dead birds splatted on the glass or something...ANYTHING TO MAKE IT MORE FUN!

You might be right there... When I first looked at it, I was like, what was Microsoft thinking making it like this!? Seriously, use the good old red, green, blue and yellow, don't make designs that make you yawn every time you see them. I know there's beauty in simplicity, but here... Come on Microsoft, you can do better then that!

EDIT: Reason: Fixed some typos.

Seems they are trying to unify the look and feel across all platforms. The focus these days are more on flat bold colours and straight lines, a while back it used to be curves, gradients, and 3d shadows. I have nothing against it, I actually like it. :P

This is something that is needed to unify the look and feel all the microsoft tech for the near future.

• Administrator

I think our graphics expert will love it. :)

It's okay. Especially when it's my favorite color, but it's just too plain, also, it's very hard to forget the flag logo, it was Windows' identity. :(

The logo looks too bland (but classy) to me. But, by the time we start using it guess my stupid eyes will get used and start liking the underwhelming color scheme.

whats up with companies overhauling their logos and giving it such blunt and dry looks .

i mean do they all follow some underground hidden unanimous protocols to make same changes all across .

first google chrome and now Windows 8 ...

not liking on the first looks ..

i wonder how will they animate this logo , as it does in Windows 7 start up screen ...

• Administrator

i wonder how will they animate this logo , as it does in Windows 7 start up screen ...

As per this article. The startup logo won't change a lot. From the looks of it, it may not have gloss/shine effect though.

Sad though, I was expecting a rotating windows colors logo for the bootscreen. :(

Sterile- Boring- Bland. As a directional sign pointing to the public restrooms.

Real hardcore corporate piece of shadowless functionality and nothing else.

Apparently the designers had no input in this on at all. - Just get it done and

shut up.

Archived