Apple: The tablet will overthrow the PC, it's just a matter of time

nsane.forums

Apple CEO Tim Cook today talked about how the iPhone helped sell Macs, and how he thinks the tablet will overthrow the PC. "It's just a matter of time" before it becomes larger than the PC market.

Apple CEO Tim Cook took the stage at Goldman Sachs today and talked about supplier responsibility, iCloud's success and how tablets are going to affect the market. Tim Cook gave his personal thoughts on how he sees tablets being used.

According to The Next Web, Tim Cook was asked if he iPhone market would diminish as the product numbers sold grew, and he began talking about emerging markets, such as China and other countries where the subsidy model doesn't work. Cook said in response to this that "We want to focus on…making the world’s best product…the paramount thing is the product, it is the focus."

He went on to say that the iPhone is creating a 'halo effect' in developing and emerging markets for their other product lines, such as the Mac, and likewise, the iPad. Cook said that pre-iPhone Mac sales in China were $1.2 billion and are now $22 billion, which is an impressive jump. "The iPad has stood on the shoulders of everything that has come before it."

Cook says that Apple tested the iPad internally before launch, and over time he found that he was completing 80-90% of his daily work tasks on the device. Apparently, this is why he feels the tablet market will eventually outgrow the PC market, saying that he believes it is "only a matter of time." Cook joked that "that’s just my opinion, you’re free not to agree with me."

He also pointed out that he wasn't predicting the demise of the PC market, saying that both tablets and PC's would benefit from the competition, and that they wouldn't be going away anytime soon.

In response to a question about cheaper, Android tablets, Cook replied that if you take a crappy tablet home "the joy is gone" soon after. "As long as people invent their own stuff, I welcome the competition" he continued, referring to Samsung's ongoing battle with their tablet devices.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bleeding Rose

Was thinking about getting an IPad. But for my needs, my laptop and PC do just fine. If the tablet overtakes the PC, it won't be for a very long time, imo.

Hahahahahahaha.

'The tablet will overthrow the PC...'

What a joke.

Tablets are perhaps the most useless invention of the 21st century (if not, please provide counter-proposals, I'm sure you can think of more useless inventions :P). In terms of portability they offer little over laptops and in terms of functionality they offer little over a decent-sized smartphone.

One word: not gonna happen ;) (Three words, well, yeah, one didn't quite cut it.)

This will definately not happen in this decade. i don't think tablets are completely useless but personaly i dont like the iPad if i were going to buy a tablet then i would buy an android tablet such as the Asus Transformer Prime which is kinda a laptop with the keyboard/battery accesory, but it can also be used as a normal touchscreen tablet which i think is really quite clever.

Hahahahahahaha.

What a joke.

Tablets are perhaps the most useless invention of the 21st century (if not, please provide counter-proposals, I'm sure you can think of more useless inventions :P). In terms of portability they offer little over laptops and in terms of functionality they offer little over a decent-sized smartphone.

One word: not gonna happen ;) (Three words, well, yeah, one didn't quite cut it.)

Although I do agree that Apple's statement is a joke, but I disagree with your statement that tablets are "the most useless invention of the 21st century".

Tablets can serve a purpose depending your needs.

The smartphones and tablets have evolved so fast that they can easily replace netbooks and low-end laptops in some cases.

A tablet might be is an oversized smartphone, true. But, that difference in size can be useful where a small screen might prove to inadequate.

Wait, I just realized now, Tim Cook said "tablets," he did not directly say iPad, you know why, because as it is now the design of the iPad sucks! Until Apple lets the user able to change the battery and give it a USB port for extending storage it will never even overthrow a netbook. :P

In my opinion, tablet is good for portability better than laptop in this matter. We might be able to use it for presentation purpose or tasks that requires less processing power.

While laptop can do what table can and what it can't. I don't see people will use tablet for serious gaming or even photo or video editing or the very basic downloading huge files. Maybe downloading huge file is ok when tablet storage keeps on growing?

In short, I don't see it overtaking pc.

Idk what year Tim Cook lives in but he thinks that the PC consumer market will make a total conversion -.- this will take about 20+ yrs to achieve so I clearly don't understand when he ment "The Tablet will overthrow the PC" :lol: the PC market is better than ever and Apple is ready to crumble. When someone talks all about how Apple products are the "BEST" I just think quietly and laugh at the old hardware, unreasonable pricing and half of the non computer savvy mac users still don't know its part apple part Linux based OS correct me if im wrong. :showoff:

Yeah, maybe.. If the tablet can play Crysis too, perhaps I will overthrow my PC. :P

Hahahahahahaha.

What a joke.

Although I do agree that Apple's statement is a joke, but I disagree with your statement that tablets are "the most useless invention of the 21st century".

Tablets can serve a purpose depending your needs.

The smartphones and tablets have evolved so fast that they can easily replace netbooks and low-end laptops in some cases.

A tablet might be is an oversized smartphone, true. But, that difference in size can be useful where a small screen might prove to inadequate.

Fair enough :)

More options is always an improvement, even if it's just a little improvement.

But still I think tablets are relatively useless...

Archived