Gaming Performance Windows Vista SP1 vs. XP SP3

dock98

Even as Microsoft tries to shove Windows Vista down the collective and unwilling throat of computer users worldwide, the company is still perfecting the well-aged and well-loved Windows XP. The latter of the two operating systems just received its third (and evidently last) service pack.

The collection of fixes and improvements includes the vast majority of security and performance updates, patches, and other stuff released in the two plus years SP2 was released. It also includes a few new improvements. There's little in SP3 that the user will actually see; pretty much everything the service pack packs is background stuff.

Of course, with the release of a new service pack comes a huge, pressing question: How does it compare to Windows Vista and its own recent update, Service Pack 1, in the game performance department? Vista, of course, has been plagued by criticism that games run on it don't perform as well as they do in Windows XP, even though most of the problems were due to early graphics drivers and have gradually been worked out.

Come with us as we install XP SP3 and take it for a test drive, and more importantly compare it to Vista SP1 with a batch of performance tests. Though DirectX 10 is Vista-only, many a gamer has sworn not to upgrade; will XP SP3 cement their decision, or has Vista and its drivers matured enough to change a few minds? Continued.........

post-3563-1210603047_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea...well i downloaded windows xp service pack 3 and i am now getting delayed write fail errors every 2 seconds

yea...well i downloaded windows xp service pack 3 and i am now getting delayed write fail errors every 2 seconds

are you dual booting 2 hds?

Suprising! Now I might actually use Vista.. Of course vLited, but I think it could still be too much a ram hog to be faster than xp/server03 on my current 1gig ram pc..

But on new rig, Vista is going for sure.. But linux too.. :dance2:

are you dual booting 2 hds?

[/quote

I have two hard drives on board...only one hard drive has the operating system and also a USB hard drive connected to my desk top and two notebooks all connected to the same network

ok...no longer getting delayed write fail... i un-installed the xp service pack 3 update then rebooted... computer ran like someone took half the operating system out so i did a restore with drive clone pro to the point where i had just installed the service pack in the first place and all is working fine now :)

ok...no longer getting delayed write fail... i un-installed the xp service pack 3 update then rebooted... computer ran like someone took half the operating system out so i did a restore with drive clone pro to the point where i had just installed the service pack in the first place and all is working fine now :frusty:

i tied to install sp3 twice on a customers computer and afterwards it would not boot either time.i had to restore the original operating system each time.

i did the same you did an advised them not to bother with sp3.anybody else had a problem or someone have a solution?

ok...no longer getting delayed write fail... i un-installed the xp service pack 3 update then rebooted... computer ran like someone took half the operating system out so i did a restore with drive clone pro to the point where i had just installed the service pack in the first place and all is working fine now :frusty:

i tied to install sp3 twice on a customers computer and afterwards it would not boot either time.i had to restore the original operating system each time.

i did the same you did an advised them not to bother with sp3.anybody else had a problem or someone have a solution?

I have installed xp service pack on 4 computers...only had trouble with one of my own.... you first need to shut off your anti virus program during the install process and there is a few more things you MUST do ( or not do ) according to Microsoft...When you do download the service pack there is section that explains this so please everyone READ the damn thing before you install...It might save you many hours of headaches

I'm also getting the write errors... from dual booting 2 internal hd's with sp3.

My master drive seems to be fine, but my slave drive I use for storage is a ******** "both drives had clean install of sp3"

ok...no longer getting delayed write fail... i un-installed the xp service pack 3 update then rebooted... computer ran like someone took half the operating system out so i did a restore with drive clone pro to the point where i had just installed the service pack in the first place and all is working fine now :)

I have installed xp service pack on 4 computers...only had trouble with one of my own.... you first need to shut off your anti virus program during the install process and there is a few more things you MUST do ( or not do ) according to Microsoft...When you do download the service pack there is section that explains this so please everyone READ the damn thing before you install...It might save you many hours of headaches

ok...no longer getting delayed write fail... i un-installed the xp service pack 3 update then rebooted... computer ran like someone took half the operating system out so i did a restore with drive clone pro to the point where i had just installed the service pack in the first place and all is working fine now ;)

I'm also getting the write errors... from dual booting 2 internal hd's with sp3.

My master drive seems to be fine, but my slave drive I use for storage is a ******** "both drives had clean install of sp3"

i understand that there is an issue with AMD processors on HP/compaq .supposedly there is a solution on MS website.i haven't looked further due to time considerations.

• 4 months later...

I have

Processor : AMD 64 X2 6000+

Ram : 2 GB

Graphics : 8600 gt 512 mb

Games work fine and run pretty much smoothly and also it is dumb to use xp when you have a 64 bit proc because it will use only the 32 bit also i tried 64 bit xp but it had pretty low driver support.

Ive been installing sp3 (clean installs) with no problems. There are a few releases out there pre-configured and tweaked that are amazing.

PsychoticxBloodxLust

I love Vista I got the 64 and 32 bit free thought windows feedback program. And with my rig i'm using peek 30% of my 8 gigs and full load won't use close to 40%, now i'm running x64 Vista Ultimate and becasue of my curiosity and fucking with the regI managed to fuck up the install, so now i get like double the processes I should have so i need to do a overhaul reinstall vlited some time probly around christmas when i buy a new asus mobo and phenom cpu I'm looking at the new ASUS - CrossHair II as a replacement being i havn't had a issue with my current CrossHair. Like windows XP buld off of shitty ME i hope windows 7 can be the xp build of Vista If ya know what i mean

Archived