Steam Has a Mobile App Now

beer

2113875-sm_devices.png

Everyone’s favorite PC game distribution platform Origin Steam is rolling out a mobile app. Get ready to spend 200% more on Steam sales. The new app, for both iOS and Android will allow users to chat with friends, check and update their friends list, and most importantly, buy games. Gone are the days of rushing to your computer to buy Steam games before the sweet deals expire. Also gone are they days of you having any money.

The app itself is free, as well it should be considering how much you are likely to shell out in impulse buys. Sure, the friends functionality may be cool for some, but the sales platform is probably what most users, and Steam itself, are excited about. For the moment, the app is in closed beta, but it’s easy to get on the guest list. Just download the app and log in with your Steam account and Steam will consider you interested. They’ll add these interested users to the closed beta as the app gets closer and closer to full release.

Perhaps the most important thing to note about this app is that it represents how Steam is doing everything right. In this day and age when everyone is all up in arms about piracy, Steam is proving to be a valuable example of how you can tackle that problem not with law, but with service. Steam is already beloved among many PC gamers for its simplicity, fair prices, and ludicrous sales. By creating an app, Steam is going to be able to deliver that same solid experience to gamers more easily. Gamers will be excited to buy things easier from a service they trust, and Steam will benefit from having them buy it. This is truly a feel-good innovation in “throwing my money at games I may never actually play but OH MY GOD they are so cheap, it’s like I’m losing money by not buying them.”

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I try to login using the iOS version it tells me my Steam account is not in the beta...

Looks like you have to wait for Valve to activate the beta access on your account.

“throwing my money at games I may never actually play but OH MY GOD they are so cheap, it’s like I’m losing money by not buying them.”

source)

(

That's how I feel at any of the sales and i see a game i remotely like in the sale. I may never get around to playing it at all or ever but would be loosing out not to take full advantage.

Games.... One of few things I don't pirate due to steam.

Hotwire, I think you are not alone. I have been to other forums where people express the same thoughts. They buy a whole bunch of games during year-end or promotional specials, and they only end up playing a fraction of the games they buy.

I think Steam does a good job in reducing pc game pirating.

Count me in that, lol. One time I bought a game called dog fighter that I never played. And well I bought team fortress 2 but since it went f2p it's gone to shit with all the cheaters and hackers.

I see an entire THQ pack in there, lol. I was also tempted to buy the THQ pack but in reality the only game I would play is Warhammer so I just bought those. Good games for sure. I need to build up my level to play dawn of war last stand.

Nice list you got there Hottwire.

Were these games part of a mega-game-pack, or this is what you paid :eek:

I bought the THQ pack ages ago for like £25 but I got all the games on offer the price shown on steamcalculator is how much my account is worth if someone was to buy it for instance, it quotes current prices not the prices I paid :P

PS : To anyone reading this: I WILL NOT SELL MY ACCOUNT, i only link to steamcalculator for reference! So please don't PM me asking to buy it or whatever.

Archived