Apple losing the patent war against Android

nsane.forums

Apple has reportedly spent a fortune fighting against Android phone and tablet makers, but has little to show for their efforts. Should they continue fighting in court or should they give up?

It's not secret that Steve Jobs hated Google's Android operating system. He was quoted in his biography as saying,

"
I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this
."

A report by Newsweek shows that he may have his financial wish but without any of the success he had hoped for.

The company, while not bleeding money, is spending a sizable chunk of funds trying to block the sales of Android devices. Most of the cases revolve around the "look and feel" of either the device, the operating system, or both. According to one report, Apple has spent over $100M attacking phone maker HTC alone, and have almost nothing to show from it. Even in cases where Apple wins, the workarounds have been trivial. For example, Samsung simply increased the size of the frame of their Galaxy Tab to get around the violation. This isn't new territory for Apple, either. The company sued Microsoft for "copying" their GUI back in 1988, another case that ultimately got them nowhere when the courts ruled against them.

Now that Steve Jobs is no longer running the company, will Apple start to back off of their courtroom attacks, or is this mentality engrained in Apple's fabric?

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serves them right. It's good to see that these types of "loop-holes" in the law which normally used against helpless people are actually biting their a** off. Apple says: "Your device looks like ours." Samsung says: "Not anymore, it's slightly bigger!" Lawyered! :lol:

Too bad he couldn't spend a single penny of Apple's $40 Billion on a charitable event. What shit is he talking about stolen product, his lame dead ass stole unix and built a new gui to call it mac. The X-Window system on unix surpassed all the gui frills of mac OS way before mac OS came on par with what Unix had to offer. The difference is that Apple packages the product and gives you a nice IPS panel to impress stupid people.

When will people in the tech industry start to understand that if someone rips of your product but makes it better in the process it is a good thing (in the grand scheme of things).

Instead of spending their funds on suing people within this ill-thought out patent system it's better to spend those funds in research and development.

Asking people to change is almost impossible though, it's better to change the system. Patents in the consumer electronic industry should last for 1-2 years after the release of a product which boasts the patented technology, instead of 10-20 years from the date the patent was assigned. In addition to that patent lifespans should depend on the industry in which they are assigned; a consumer electronics company will (or at least should) be able to get a nice return on their patent within one year, whereas for a player in the aircraft industry it might take 5-15 years.

In a modern world these things need to be taken into account.

Also:

Apple :fist:

Archived