Guide on how to configure UltimateDefrag 2008 properly

shought

• Replies 215
  • Views 64.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I will try to read the guide and redo this one ;)

It could take a while, but don't worry, the principles explained in this guide still apply (would say that the guide is about 80-90% compatible with the new version :)).

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry guys but I don't think I'll be making another guide for this, I'm just not spending enough time on the subject to write a proper one and I'm even starting to believe that other tools might provide you with superior performance (as the 'Respect layout.ini option' still doesn't work properly)...

I'm sorry guys but I don't think I'll be making another guide for this, I'm just not spending enough time on the subject to write a proper one and I'm even starting to believe that other tools might provide you with superior performance (as the 'Respect layout.ini option' still doesn't work properly)...

wanna ask, how to move paging file to outer ?

manual defrag would not work, since it's locked

and boot time defrag...

not sure about dragging what of that :think:

thanks

Boot Time Defrag will allow you to drag everything to the place you want it.. If your drive is healthy and you don't have one of the few systems that refuse to cooperate.. then it should work.. I have min sitting about in the middle of the first 20% of my HD.. in the middle to end of my High Performance files.. I ave noticed a few oddities with the program after its last update.. my Mom and Dads system refuses to move the files or even run the BootTime defrag... Mine works.. but for whatever reason my directories seem to move a lot and my Extra Space for the MFT acts like its playing musical chairs...

Don't change the size of anything, do the analyzation and move the MFT and Files where you want them... IF they don't move or you get an error when you try to the best bet, is to use something else.. for the defrag.. What really pisses me off is that I had deleted the PageFile on Reboot for the system to make one fresh... when I did.. it wound up all the way to the inside which absolutely kills the performance on the piece of crap.. Now after that .. I can't get it to move the PageFile...

In order to d a BootTime Defrag I ran Puran Defrag.. so at least the files were not fragmented.. but they did not move to an optimal location...

• Administrator

Even my MFT reserved space keeps on changing it's position on the disk. I like to keep it 200MB.

As per the recommendations. MFT should be in middle the outer layer, that is in middle of high performance. And pagefile should be just inside of the HP, after the HP ends.

Yep.. that would definitely be nice... if UD3 would do it.. Weird thing on the system I was talking about..The files are all over the drive in question... and it shows them as all being next to one another.. in the BootTime Window.. So then when I slide it over.. and then I get an RC-1 Error when it tried t do the BootTime Defrag.. and nothing is moved.. BAD thing about this is if an error occurs the system may not boot anymore and I could loose the files for the drive itself.. loosing the data and/or info.. So I guess this can be messy..

i forget that that i ever run the boot defrag before

and sure the page file moving to outer, but not the most outer (we can call it middle of high performance)

when not doing a boot defrag for a time, the page file will move to inner track.(since it's locked, not sure about this, maybe during the shutdown & boot)

that was i am faced.

Do you ever delete your pagefile? I think that was how mine originally wound up on the inside tracks...AND.. somehow the space it needed to go in was left blank..Then I tried to move it and it wouldn't even run the Boot Time anymore... I think that deleting it or having it delete on shutdown it is rebuilt in the next boot... and it just puts it in the next available space.. and I think or guess this would apply if you were altering its size as well...

M&D's system is making me angry a little now.. it stops at analyzing.. :pissed:

• Administrator

@heath28m: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options > Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile > Disabled. :)

Oh yeah.. this was a thing I did just once.. not really for sure exactly why I did it that once though.. Trust me on this one.. LOL if it was wiping and creating it every time.. I would know it.. LOL.. take forever..

no, i do not delete the page file

the page file is moving, as i see when i run a analysis.

sometime ago the page file is on the middle, and before i run boot defrag today,, it is at the inner.

btw unless you need strong privacy & security( i think we never need it :) ) u shouldn't delete the page file, it will take more time to start up/ shutdown.

oh ya, dou you know that is a windows boot time optimization in

Tool >> Setting >> more..

what that it's do ?

• Administrator

Boot time optimization allows you to change the place of MFT and pagefile, etc. during next reboot. It's basically the boot time defrag. ;)

The Boot Time Optimization that I think your talking about is a settings which is included on windows and the first screen that pops up on UD3 asks about it.. I am not for sure what precisely it does.. but I think you should try both settings to see which one effects your boot positively.. and not negatively ... it can vary from system to system.. I can look it up.. but it has something to do with the way it boots up the system.. a check or something... and I think it will only make a difference in a few situations.. check the Wikipedia for a definition would the best bet..

Archived