Guide on how to configure UltimateDefrag 2008 properly

shought

If your on Vista and you have the Shadow Copy service running this will happen as Vista will back up every file that is being accessed...You should try doing a disk cleanup of the files. I believe .. I am not for sure I will have to go look at Vista again.. ( I turned my service completely off though .. on the one I was working on ) I always had 3GB plus fragmented.. ) but it is easy to work around.. you should zoom in on your view too and try to see if it will shed more light on the specific files..

But. yeah I would be willing to bet its the Shadow Copy thing.. ( wish I had the exact terms.. )

EDIT: Or System Restore.. Personally, I would disable both of those because I don't bother with it..but if you think about it.. your system doesn't access those files anyway unless you are doing a restore.. should be fine..

• Replies 215
  • Views 64.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I don't know about shadow copy and heath maybe right. System Volume Information is the folder that keeps back up of system restore.

Windows XP, and the shadow thing, you mean the image I'm PLANNING to create when all is set ?

I don't have that one yet hé, planning to make one once my disk is set for it (which now it isn't for me)

VSS = Volume Shadow Copy Service.. Mine would fluctuate between 3 and 8 GB.. all of it fragmented..I never use System Restore.. so I think that I had already turned that off with Vista Manager.. But after I got rid of it and I did a Boot-Time Defrag... everything was fine..

EDIT: this is only on Vista systems..VSS.. not in XP.. You could clean up System Restore Points.. and it will disappear until you system starts creating them again.

• Administrator

@Broke: You said you have XP?

• Administrator

Well the best thing would be to disable system restore. Do you have use for system restore? The System restore keeps back up of all the restore points created or the files you have deleted. Go here to know more about it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_restore

Well if you disable system restore, you wont be able to bring your computer back from to the state where you didn't deleted somethin important. But I like to keep system restore off as it takes a lot of space.

Turn off system restore > Right Click My Computer Icon > Properties > System Restore > Disable on all drives.

You need to do a Disk Cleanup.. after it loads.. which is forever.. select what files you want to cleanup on the first tab by selecting check boxes.. Then go to the second tab/section and you should have an option to clean up old restore points..and two other options.. Once this is done.. if you keep system restore of.. then you shouldn't have to worry about this area any longer...

• Administrator

Sth?

Well all the restore points are gone now. You may now find your drive clean of fragmention(for some time). Analyze with windows defrag again for satisfaction. ;)

I'm quite surprised that these files weren't moved without removing them, UD should be able to move them...

But I see heath and DKT pointed you in the right direction already ;)

I'm quite surprised that these files weren't moved without removing them, UD should be able to move them...

But I see heath and DKT pointed you in the right direction already ;)

Thats was why I thought it was VSS.. Thats the only time I have seen that occur.

thanks guys, worked like a charm

image made as well, so I'm set for a new clean install next time, just a bit less time-consuming :D

SacredCultivator

Switched back over to UDefrag from both PerfectDisk / Puran Defrag.

Probably won't update this guide for Win7 till next version is out next month huh?

I tried followign it the best I could in respect to the newer folders from Win7, and hope I got it right.

Hopefully new version works with 64bit (Boot Defrag)

• Administrator

You mean new version of UD will be out in a month or your talkin about Windows 7?

SacredCultivator

I guess both =), as UD estimated in November to release new version.

• Administrator

Great to hear. :D . We all are watin for it.

I will most likely update it when a new version of UD is released ;)

I currently don't have it installed on Windows 7... I'll wait for UD to fully support Windows 7 :)

• Administrator

Well I have some questions/problems.

When I defragmented my main drive. It showed 3.11 GB free space. Then I wanted to try Boot Defrag of UD. So I first opted for check disk. After check disk, my drive's free space increased to 3.20 GB. :o . Then I scheduled Boot Defrag on next reboot. It seemed that it completed successfully. But after seein the drive's free space, it was back to about 3.05 GB free. So does it mean Boot defrag did it's job but is not very helpful for creatin free space on the drive?

How does this Auto feature work? I mean what does it do? I'm a bit lazy to config all the settings for all the drives. So is it recommended for proper settings for Auto?

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention. After re-analyzing the drive. It still showed that my drive's files(the one defragmented in boot defrag) are fragmented again.

Are you sure your reading the legend correctly? 80 MB difference could be a log file.. difference in MFT size..which is what I would say it is.. If you look at you analysis of the Boot Time part of the drive...see if files sizes are different before and after of each part.. that would be a good way to see if it was the cause... You could also look for files that have become fragmented as well.. depending on the file itself it could possibly .. explain the cause..

• Administrator

Well let the Windows Defrag analyzes and UD screenshot speak -

UD Screenshot -

56892620.jpg

Windows Defrag analyzes file -

Volume Local Disk (C:)

Volume size = 14.65 GB

Cluster size = 4 KB

Used space = 11.80 GB

Free space = 2.84 GB

Percent free space = 19 %

Volume fragmentation

Total fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation = 0 %

Free space fragmentation = 1 %

File fragmentation

Total files = 71,638

Average file size = 239 KB

Total fragmented files = 1

Total excess fragments = 59

Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation

Pagefile size = 650 MB

Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation

Total folders = 10,369

Fragmented folders = 1

Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation

Total MFT size = 82 MB

MFT record count = 82,081

Percent MFT in use = 97 %

Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fragments File Size Most fragmented files

None

Try doing another Boot Defrag.. and this time make sure that it takes a while to do it.. I have had this happen but it shows about 8 GB that isn't there..Try to Boot Defrag once more .. not changing any settings.. ad let it run its course.. This should disappear.. afterward you may want to run a Fragmented Files Only..

• Administrator

Yea seems that I will have to try it again. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow. Gettin late here.

• 1 month later...

in case it wasnt said. if you have a vista 64 you need to run as admin

• Administrator

Nah. I'm on XP.

Well I remember. When I posted all this, I was only usin defragment method and not the other methods. I found that Consolidate is better than Folder /Filename. Now I only Consolidate but unfortunately, that thing mentioned in the previous posts still remains the problem. I checked it again and I'm sure that space is taken by MFT, Pagefile, etc. And Bootdefrag doesn't help either. I'm soon gonna trash this HDD which is about 4 years old, just 38GB and is IDE. I'll take a new one when I'll build a new PC in Feb.

Archived