Guide on how to configure UltimateDefrag 2008 properly

shought

Thanks for all this info Shought.

But the next time i press defrag, what do I need to press?

This new UD is completely different for me then the older one.

• Replies 215
  • Views 64.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask me in Dutch via pm or clarify what you mean, because i don't get it: 'what do i need to press?' :wacko:

Ask me in Dutch via pm or clarify what you mean, because i don't get it: 'what do i need to press?' :wacko:

Next time I want to defrag, what do I need to click on.

Like consolidate, options etc?

And should the directories be placed close to the MFT?

Next time I want to defrag, what do I need to click on.

Like consolidate, options etc?

And should the directories be placed close to the MFT?

Ah now I see. I assume you read and used my guide? So you selected High Performance and Archive data? Well then what i formerly did was using the 'Consolidte' method with the options 'Respect high performance', 'Respect archive' and 'Place directories close to MFT' selected(others NOT). But in this post spasserfan told me that using the 'Folder/File name' method would give you better performance, theoretically it should. Testing it right now and i would recommend you to use this method('Folder/File name') as well (select the same options as i told you with 'Consolidate')

Do remember whatever option you select to always respect Archive, otherwise all your Archive files will be placed to the outer tracks again.

Since the publishers, Disktrix have not incorporated boot time defragmentation into this particular release (UltimateDefrag 2008 Build 2.0.0.47,) I include my pagefile to the 'high performance' band through 'Custom' and then 'Select File' - generally the path is "C:\pagefile.sys"

Please note this is a personal preference and Users with plenty of RAM may not bother to include their page file to the 'high performance' band.

Since the publishers, Disktrix have not incorporated boot time defragmentation into this particular release (UltimateDefrag 2008 Build 2.0.0.47,) I include my pagefile to the 'high performance' band through 'Custom' and then 'Select File' - generally the path is "C:\pagefile.sys"

Please note this is a personal preference and Users with plenty of RAM may not bother to include their page file to the 'high performance' band.

Hmmmm, i'm thinking: why would i forget such an important thing. But now i know: pagefile.sys can't be moved during an normal defragmentation. You have to do a boot-time defragmentation which is not yet included. So that's why i can't/didn't put this in (yet).

If anyone wonders how to DO move the pagefile: Set the pagefile to 0MB and restart, so no pagefile. It shouldn't be present on your main drive now anymore but just in case remove pagefile.sys if present. Now put all your whole HD into archive and select a pagefile of your preferred size. Restart, now the pagefile should be on the most outer tracks of your HD. You can place it anywhere, just select less folders in Archive and use Consolidate method if you want to put it further to the inside of the HD.

Thanks for the guide :)

Any time ;)

spasserfan

Hmmmm, i'm thinking: why would i forget such an important thing. But now i know: pagefile.sys can't be moved during an normal defragmentation. You have to do a boot-time defragmentation which is not yet included. So that's why i can't/didn't put this in (yet).

If anyone wonders how to DO move the pagefile: Set the pagefile to 0MB and restart, so no pagefile. It shouldn't be present on your main drive now anymore but just in case remove pagefile.sys if present. Now put all your whole HD into archive and select a pagefile of your preferred size. Restart, now the pagefile should be on the most outer tracks of your HD. You can place it anywhere, just select less folders in Archive and use Consolidate method if you want to put it further to the inside of the HD.

Until disktrix releases bootdefrag for UD just use Pagedefrag from sysinternals to defrag the pagefile, hybernation file etc. Pagedefrag can be downloaded here (70 KB download)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897426.aspx

Until disktrix releases bootdefrag for UD just use Pagedefrag from sysinternals to defrag the pagefile, hybernation file etc. Pagedefrag can be downloaded here (70 KB download)

Will this 'move' the pagefile as well? Place it to outer tracks?

My method defrags the pagefile as well, because when Windows creates the paging file, it will make it out of one piece, so no fragments. Your method might be better, just don't know :)

spasserfan

My method defrags the pagefile as well, because when Windows creates the paging file, it will make it out of one piece, so no fragments. Your method might be better, just don't know :)

Yes it moves the pagefile and puts it into one piece. That way you only has to restart one time ;) About the outer tracks idon't know if pagedefrag actually moves the pagefile.sys to the outer tracks by moving all files at the location, where it would be placed. Maybe somone else can answer your question, or you could just look at the disk view in UD before and after running pagedefrag ;) by the way, pagedefrag does not need to be installed, it is a download and run program.

spasserfan

Yes it moves the pagefile and puts it into one piece. That way you only has to restart one time ;) About the outer tracks idon't know if pagedefrag actually moves the pagefile.sys to the outer tracks by moving all files at the location, where it would be placed. Maybe somone else can answer your question, or you could just look at the disk view in UD before and after running pagedefrag ;) by the way, pagedefrag does not need to be installed, it is a download and run program.

I just ran pagedefrag, but my pagefile was not fragmented and therefore not moved (well it is also at outer tracks just outside high performance anyways, so no need for movement ;)). But my hiberfile.sys was defragmented and place on the inner tracks, just outside my archive section (where most of the hiberfile.sys already was present), I guess this is tha optimal placement for that, since hibernation is not in need of high performance (I prefer slower hibernation and wakup than a slower computer when I am working ;))

I just ran pagedefrag, but my pagefile was not fragmented and therefore not moved (well it is also at outer tracks just outside high performance anyways, so no need for movement :)). But my hiberfile.sys was defragmented and place on the inner tracks, just outside my archive section (where most of the hiberfile.sys already was present), I guess this is tha optimal placement for that, since hibernation is not in need of high performance (I prefer slower hibernation and wakup than a slower computer when I am working ;))

Yes, you're right. So in some cases my 'pagefile defrag method' would be better and in others PageDefrag would do a better job, since my method always moves the pagefile, unless you got those annoying $usnjrnl$(MSN Journals, which can be deleted) files messing up and PageDefrag doesn't move it when it's not fragmented. Glad we worked that out ;)

You're right about the hiberfile.sys file too, well you can't be right or wrong because it's your opinion, but i agree ;) ;)

Hmmmm, what's the purpose of those files? And what is Lotus Notes? I'd be happy to add them, but i have to know why since i don't use those 2 programs myself ;) Thanks for your suggestion :)

Both, Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes are 'email clients' - generally assigned by Corporates/MNCs to country-wide employees in a network domain where the email traffic is exceptionally high. These emails reside in .pst and .nsf files, respectively and as mentioned earlier can easily bloat into GBs. I'm sticking with Ultimate Defrag for this singular reason - both my email clients run smoother & quicker.

thanks a lot Noddy, i was looking out for such a solution.

i am a heavy user of outlook & lotus and installed UltimateDefrag 2008 Build V2.0.0.48 today to defragment the pst & nsf files. though i used to delete a lot of my emails my pst is 3.36 GBs and the nsf is nearly 5 GBs. now my system is smooth & silky and i can actually see the difference UltimateDefrag 2008 has made.

:wacko: my outlook used to crsh every now and then. maybe that problem is solved, thanks to you. :rolleyes:

Hello Donaldo, welcome to nsane forums!!!!!

Glad to be of service and thanks for that update on UltimateDefrag 2008 Build 2.0.0.48 (didn't realize that it was released.) UltimateDefrag is a great boon to Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes users for the pure reason that these .pst & .ntf files tend to grow to a monstrous size (in fact, much more phenomenal than any other file on your system.)

BTW, I don't believe the problem with your crashing Outlook will come to an end with a mere defragment (once a .pst file grows beyond 2 GBs, your Outlook is bound to crash - this is known issue with Microsoft and you're lucky to get way with a 2.36 GB .pst) You need to compact your .pst and .nsf files occasionally - simply deleting emails will not reduce these file size.

Hmmmm, what's the purpose of those files? And what is Lotus Notes? I'd be happy to add them, but i have to know why since i don't use those 2 programs myself ;) Thanks for your suggestion :rolleyes:

Both, Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes are 'email clients' - generally assigned by Corporates/MNCs to country-wide employees in a network domain where the email traffic is exceptionally high. These emails reside in .pst and .nsf files, respectively and as mentioned earlier can easily bloat into GBs. I'm sticking with Ultimate Defrag for this singular reason - both my email clients run smoother & quicker.

Hello Donaldo, welcome to nsane forums!!!!!

Glad to be of service and thanks for that update on UltimateDefrag 2008 Build 2.0.0.48 (didn't realize that it was released.) UltimateDefrag is a great boon to Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes users for the pure reason that these .pst & .ntf files tend to grow to a monstrous size (in fact, much more phenomenal than any other file on your system.)

BTW, I don't believe the problem with your crashing Outlook will come to an end with a mere defragment (once a .pst file grows beyond 2 GBs, your Outlook is bound to crash - this is known issue with Microsoft and you're lucky to get way with a 2.36 GB .pst) You need to compact your .pst and .nsf files occasionally - simply deleting emails will not reduce these file size.

I added your suggestion and added your name to the credits :) Didn't know about the new version either... This is the only change noted on their webpage: - Some Vista metafiles were causing stalled defrags. This has been corrected in this version. Not much of a big release for me then, since i don't use Vista ;)

Small update to guide to clear a little thing up.

All of this is done with the 'Folder/File name' de-fragmentation method....

Options

[x]Respect High Performance

[x]Respect Archive

[x]Put directories close to MFT.

Options

[x]Respect Archive

Thanks for that Sonar ;) Will be more clear to the UD newbies amongst us, for me it's very logic to select those, but of course that isn't the case for everyone. :rolleyes: Added your name too :)

Options

[x]Respect Archive

Thanks for that Sonar ;) Will be more clear to the UD newbies amongst us, for me it's very logic to select those, but of course that isn't the case for everyone. :rolleyes: Added your name too :)

Thought ide mention it as I was the second person to mention in another thread ;)

Options

[x]Respect Archive

Thought ide mention it as I was the second person to mention in another thread :please:

Yeah, i saw that, but thought i already added this :blink: Well, guess i didn't :P Thanks anyway ;)

Recommended settings of UltimateDefrag courtesy of _deXter_

The prefered defrag setup is:

1) * Edit your C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\Layout.ini and add immediately above the ntoskrnl.exe line

C:\NTLDR

C:\BOOT.INI

C:\NTDETECT.COM

You may not be able to save the file, so before you save it, run this command:

CACLS C:\Windows\Prefetch\Layout.ini /E /G USERNAME:C

, where USERNAME is the name of your user account. This will unlock the file for saving.

Note: You'll need administrator rights to do this.

2) In UD, select your C: drive, goto the Options, and use these settings:

• High Performance: Automatic: 20% Most frequently used data

• Custom: 2-3 programs that you REALLY need to load very fast. Keep it limited to less than 3 (or 5, depending on the size) for maximum benefits.

• **Fast Placement (consolidate)

• Archive: Automatic: 60 Past Days data was not used

• Custom: (Note: Maintain the order!)

C:\WINDOWS\repair

C:\WINDOWS\Help\

C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\

C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache

C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

• Very fast placement

• Include files by wildcard: *.zip, *.cab, *.msi, *.log, *.txt *.tmp, *.bak

• Respect Layout.ini

--

* - If you don't have a Layout.ini or if it's blank, then download and run Microsoft BootVis. In BootVis, do a reboot+trace. After reboot, check for Layout.ini and edit it.

** - Strict placement is recommend if you're doing it for the first time OR if you're running it un-attended (ie, you're not in a hurry for the defrag to finish)

---

For defraging the method to use when you defrag that drive for the first time:

Recency:

• Last Accessed

• Place Data On Outer Tracks - Most Recent Data Most Outer

• Respect high performance

• Respect archive

• Put directories close to MFT

I suggest running a "Recent" defrag once a month or a week after you install/uninstall lots of software. I say a week because UD can then accelerate only those files that you frequently use.

Consolidate:

• Respect high performance

• Respect archive

• Put directories close to MFT

• Very fast placement (may leave small free spaces)

I recommend Consolidate once or twice a week.

Fragmented Files only:

Run this immediately after you've installed some big software/game etc, or copied some files here and there.

-

You can use the Scheduler to automate all this.

And about Maximum Resource Usage: Unless you're multitasking a LOT, I recommend setting it to 100%. If you set it to Auto, it'll use less resources but will take much longer for the defrag to complete.

_deXter_ on 11 May 2008 19:47

Forgot to mention, add this folder too to your Archive list:

C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstall*

Yep, saw this too jfe. I'll look into this tomorrow, ok? Don't have the time now. I need to take what is useful and leave out what is not. Some things i see now: Consolidate once or twice a weak isn't needed, you get more performance improvement by selecting the whole program files on a big HD, not on a small(<60GB) though.

Also i do not recommend using the Layout.ini file, this is made by the operating system, but doesn't work very well. It is normally used for boot-time defragmentation, by OS, not by any other program.

I already explained why i do not put the Temp folder(s) in Archive a few posts back.

He has a good point here: 'And about Maximum Resource Usage: Unless you're multitasking a LOT, I recommend setting it to 100%. If you set it to Auto, it'll use less resources but will take much longer for the defrag to complete.'

Putting Downloaded Program Files in Archive isn't a too good idea as well, because some of these files are quite frequently used.

Added pchealth folder.

Don't know why he says: 'Maintain the order!' Because when 'Very fast placement' is selected the order doesn't matter very much anymore. UD will jut place Archive in Archive region, it (almost) won't look at the order anymore. Just 'what fits where'.

Adding .log files isn't smart as well. These files are used by firewalls, AV's and other programs whilst they are running, and would cause the hard disk to constantly go to the Archive region when they need to write something into a .log file.

He has a nice guide, but needs more own input then mine. Thanks to deXter for adding some things :dance:

Just wondering here, will it have any effect if I do a UltimateDefrag once every week/2 weeks and have Diskeeper in the background, or will Diskeeper undo all UD's stuff?

--edit, I just did it, and it seems that it has worked and Diskeeper leaves it alone.

Also, I would like to suggest to include *.iso, *.b6w, *.mdf, *.mds, *.r0?, *.r1?, *.00?, *.01? etc (if you have split archives) in archived :dance:

--edit2, Found out Diskeeper *doesn't* leave UD's settings alone - no more diskeeper it is.

Just wondering here, will it have any effect if I do a UltimateDefrag once every week/2 weeks and have Diskeeper in the background, or will Diskeeper undo all UD's stuff?

--edit, I just did it, and it seems that it has worked and Diskeeper leaves it alone.

Also, I would like to suggest to include *.iso, *.b6w, *.mdf, *.mds, *.r0?, *.r1?, *.00?, *.01? etc (if you have split archives) in archived :dance2:

--edit2, Found out Diskeeper *doesn't* leave UD's settings alone - no more diskeeper it is.

Yep, that's true, Diskeeper doesn't leave UD's defragged files where they are, as it has it's own File Placement engine. I'll add the *.iso and such extensions, thanks for the note :dance2:

Archived