AV-Comparatives On-Demand Comparative August 2011

anuraag

You use ESET only for its traffic diagram?come on.You can use other Internet meter solutions.Yeah i love Symantec but which company can create this level of products and they all have good quality?I don't know but i'm sure Symantec is very well.

Sarcasm or trying to be funny(none detected) ? The point about ESET was that its the only major AV out there which fully supports these techs at the ndis driver level(atleat effectively) & as a consequence of which I know that the info which the firewall is reporting is fairly accurate e.g. under AVAST 6 when i had bluetooth PAN working, the GUI only showed which connections were established but not the amount of data in the same tab nor the main firewall tab ! I can't confirm the same for every latest version of AV like KIS 2012 a,b,c (WTH this isn't KG y'know Eugene) or NIS 19.1.xxx but c'mon you can't be serious about that graph part ;)

• Replies 37
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@morteza

no one said , Norton is a bad AV ,

it just misbehaves ..!

some find it easy to tame the misbehavior and some find it irritating when they know who the BOSS really is ..! ;)

so you desperately trying to insist and convince , in every post of yours that Symantec is the ONLY good vendor out there ,

IMO is not appreciable ... <_<

opining your opinion is every ones right ,

but getting rhetoric with the same message in each and every opinion ,

is boring and irritating .....

( ps -- on an after note , wait till you uninstall the Norton and try running any other set up ..that is , if you ever decide to divorce Symantec and check out any thing else ...... ;) )

You use ESET only for its traffic diagram?come on.You can use other Internet meter solutions.Yeah i love Symantec but which company can create this level of products and they all have good quality?I don't know but i'm sure Symantec is very well.

morteza

I forgot to mention this but if your firewall doesn't actually see the incoming/outgoing data in god'ol fashion bits/bytes then it really can't inspect those network packets can it now ? Hence your first line of defence against hack attacks is already gone, the only saving grace is that the realtime AV & web shield components will prevent you from online malware threats but nothing more than that btw I'd like to add that I've not really seen that many hackers trying to exploit the mobile web/broadband in the traditional way like they do for ethernet or Wifi wonder why though unsure.gif

@ Morteza: There's no 'best' AV out there. I use Norton and yes I'm very impressed by the product, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. Your love for Norton is something well known and something we all respect, but you shouldn't be advertising Norton products on here, that's the company's work, and besides most of us know a lot about Norton. People choose what suites their needs, I chose Norton because of it's automated solution, while I know many won't like the total automation, but it's what I prefer. It depends on what people, usage graphs, real-time analysis are insignificant to me, but are important to some so they use the product which serves their needs. So it'd be best if your refrain from imposing your own preferences on other members of the forums. Lastly, I apologize if you're offended by my post in anyway, I sincerely apologize because it was never my intention to do so.

Regards

i think norton's detection is good enough. But still can't beat kaspersky and bitdefender. I've seen many videos on youtube about norton test. While downloading viruses, norton always can block them because they have reputation file analyzing from symantec's community and cloud detection, not from norton's antivirus engine the example of detection's names are WS.Reputation.1, WS.Viral.1, Suspicious.cloud. Very many viruses detected with name like that. If i see kaspersky, eset and bitdefender, they can block many viruses like norton did, is because of their own antivirus engine, not by detection based on reputation file. But, the detection of bitdefender and kaspersky is also boosted up by their behavioral detection. IMO, norton wins in real world test by AV-C because norton's detection is boosted up by reputation of the file and SONAR. But, in real world test, bitdefender and kaspersky score are also good. If on demand scan, i prefer eset, bitdefender, or kaspersky than norton. Also, maybe, you can compare norton's detection and other antivirus detection via virus total or seeing youtube.

i think norton's detection is good enough. But still can't beat kaspersky and bitdefender. I've seen many videos on youtube about norton test. While downloading viruses, norton always can block them because they have reputation file analyzing from symantec's community and cloud detection, not from norton's antivirus engine the example of detection's names are WS.Reputation.1, WS.Viral.1, Suspicious.cloud. Very many viruses detected with name like that. If i see kaspersky, eset and bitdefender, they can block many viruses like norton did, is because of their own antivirus engine, not by detection based on reputation file. But, the detection of bitdefender and kaspersky is also boosted up by their behavioral detection. IMO, norton wins in real world test by AV-C because norton's detection is boosted up by reputation of the file and SONAR. But, in real world test, bitdefender and kaspersky score are also good. If on demand scan, i prefer eset, bitdefender, or kaspersky than norton. Also, maybe, you can compare norton's detection and other antivirus detection via virus total or seeing youtube.

Lets say you're downloading a compressed file which contains malware samples, while other AVs (ESET, Avast, Kaspersky, etc.) will most probably detect the virus and block the download, but Norton doesn't work that way. It'll let you download the file without any detection, and then using the download analyzer it'll determine the whether the file is safe or not, and even if it considers it safe, but once you open or extract it, Norton will immediately block and remove the virus so they can't infect, that's one of the things I like about Norton.

[Lets say you're downloading a compressed file which contains malware samples, while other AVs (ESET, Avast, Kaspersky, etc.) will most probably detect the virus and block the download, but Norton doesn't work that way. It'll let you download the file without any detection, and then using the download analyzer it'll determine the whether the file is safe or not, and even if it considers it safe, but once you open or extract it, Norton will immediately block and remove the virus so they can't infect, that's one of the things I like about Norton.

It`s only a matter of how you tune your AV settings - for ex. Kaspersky and ESET are scanning by default the archives - if you don`t want that it`s enough to unclick that part in Settings - every module has it`s own settings .

I don't think morteza is advertising Symantec product with the statements. He's just a happy Norton's user and willing to share his experience. -_-

Hehe...one thing I've noticed since I joined nsane, AV debates can touch off at any given time. :ph34r:

@7eleven...I'm the very same way when it comes to my favorite pc hardware brands.

I live in real world and Symantec is first in real world test so i choose Symantec. ^_^

I was...and still I'm a norton FAN. But , my experience says...about detection rate ( not FP ) Eset, Avira, Vipre, F-Secure are best. Avira is slightly better in terms of detection (but not cleaning or usability ).

• Administrator

I know the discussion is already cool here. But I'll like if it remains in the friendly way. :)

Archived