building a pc so small it fits in a drive bay

dock98

Hands on with Via's new Artigo DIY PC kit, based on the credit-card-size Pico-ITX motherboard form factor.

Tom Mainelli, PC World

I've built my share of small-form-factor PCs over the years, but Via's new Artigo kit is by far the tiniest--and most interesting--I've laid hands on.

The $300 bare-bones kit provides the starter hardware for a fully functional PC that's small enough to fit in a desktop PC's 5.25-inch drive bay,

opening up a world of geeky possibilities.

The Artigo is based on Via's Pico-ITX motherboard form factor. Via has been pushing this mobo format--which is slightly larger than a credit card-

-as an alternative to bigger products that use AMD's and Intel's notably faster processors.

The Epia PX-branded motherboard included here uses Via's VX700 chip set and UniChrome Pro II graphics chip.

The Artigo kit also includes a preinstalled 1-GHz Via C7 NanoBGA2 processor and fan.

The Epia PX is a marvel of miniaturization. Within its 10cm-by-7.2cm confines Via manages to cram in everything from a SODIMM socket (underneath)

to an ethernet controller with an RJ45 jack (in the back) and support for four USB ports (up front).

Oh, and you also get PATA and SATA connectors, as well as audio jacks for speakers and a microphone.

Website

post-3563-1201655910_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting to say the least, but the process to put it together seems like a big challenge.

Archived